How do you "Save as" with apple?

jaeshellz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
hey i switched to apple a few months ago wit a beautiful 12 inch g4pb which i love to death!!! mac is sooo much better but my question is how do u "right click" for example if something says "right click and save as" how can I do that?

St Soichiro

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2004
Tulsa, OK
jaeshellz said:
hey i switched to apple a few months ago wit a beautiful 12 inch g4pb which i love to death!!! mac is sooo much better but my question is how do u "right click" for example if something says "right click and save as" how can I do that?
I guess you are using the one-button Apple mouse. Keep the Control key pressed while clicking on object. Will bring up a menu to allow you to "Save as.." among other things.

St Soichiro

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
You could always buy a two-button mouse if control-click doesn't suit you.

Umm, how is it that you have been using a Mac for a few months and never ran into this issue until now?

stoid

macrumors 601
If you are like me, and you get tired of control-clicking, and really like the use of your second mouse button, you can always get an external mouse. I nearly always use a two button mouse. Especially when doing graphics work. It's no Wacom tablet (taking donations, PM me), but it offers far more precision than the built-in track pad.

jaeshellz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
aight thanx guys, i didn't know about that. i always had this question but never posted it till now powermac thanx for ya help though. APPLE iz HOT!

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
SiliconAddict said:
More proof that 2 button mice are easier. :rolleyes:
...for people coming from the PC side, that is. They were forced to learn the two-button way, simply because that's what dominates the PC world.

For beginners, one-button is better.

And some just like the "feel" of the stock mouse... I sure do. I use my stock white "Apple Mouse" (white, not pro, came with my iMac G4 from this summer) and love it. In fact I prefer it over my three-button optical Logitech.

ijimk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2004
Here
I use a mx 510 logitech 8 button mouse and it is the best mouse i ever owned.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
jaeshellz said:
If you option-click, then the target will automatically be downloaded to your default download folder, eliminating the need to ctrl-click and pick a location.

iceTrX

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
Outside of Detroit.
ijimk said:
I use a mx 510 logitech 8 button mouse and it is the best mouse i ever owned.
Agreed. Its painful to use a computer without the thumb buttons and the cruise control (you will never use the scroll wheel again!... except to scroll faster through long documents).

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
The reason that it seems that two-buttoned mice are better is that we are technically proficient people able to use it to our advantage. Looking from the point of view of a beginner to computing, which most people here on this forum are not, I'm sure that one button will be much easier. I know that I have taught people that had continuous problems remembering which button did what, and remembering which to use for what. A one button mouse should be enough for most people anyways, since most of the commands can either be accessed from the menu bar or the keyboard as well. Besides, even if Apple did ship a stock two-button/scroll wheel mouse, I'm sure that most of the people here would still be complaining (about not having 50 buttons like the fancier ones). Bottom line if you want one get one yourself, if not you can use the stock one just fine.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Also, if you're trying to get an object (like an image, perhaps), you needn't save it... just drag-and-drop it from the webpage to your desktop, or any open windows. You can even drop between applications, for instance you could drop an image directly onto a Photoshop canvas.

paul

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
to back up the posters who said its easier for beginners: i love the apple one button mouse, and i switched from windows. the only reason i no longer use the stock apple mouse is that i've integrated expose into the way i use my computer (i mapped fn9-11 to my logitech's mouse's extra buttons)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
wowser said:
i keep seeing some web pages saying to hold the mouse button. Was this just a feature in OS 9?
Yes, you used to be able to bring up contextual menus just by clicking and holding. I don't know for sure why they did away with it, I probably try to do this out of habit at least once a month...

paul

jaeshellz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
wow thanx alot for the feedback guys. this board really shows a brotha alot of love. I appreciate all the info fam. thanx again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.