How do you save important tidbits from the internet on your iPad, Mac (or PC) and iPhone ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by max2, Apr 19, 2018.

1. max2 macrumors 68030

Not favorites but little tidbits of important information. Like a solution to a problem you need sometimes, important information you need to come back to later, etc?

2. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

3. max2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Free or Paid ?

Does it work well ?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 19, 2018 ---
    Baaaa Evernote addon requires third party cookies in Firefox :( That sucks. I disable third party cookies.

4. max2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Use can't clip things with Evernote on the iPad or iPhone why ?

5. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

I just copy and paste within the normal notes app. It syncs through iCloud and becomes available everywhere.

6. Booch21 macrumors regular

Booch21

Or simply take a screenshot of what you want. I often do that and send it to someone else that needs the info.

7. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

I think the OP was talking about keeping it for themselves.

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

You can of course also take screenshots for yourself, which is what he was suggesting..

9. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Don’t know if that’s what was meant. The context of sending it to others is a bit confusing there.

10. Booch21 macrumors regular

Booch21

If it's good enough to send to others, it's good enough to keep for yourself. Sheesh!

11. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Is it?!

Texts from a screenshot can’t be reused for anything else. I think it’s down to the purpose / context of the info in question than the actual process.

If you want to quickly show something off the internet, a screenshot might be sufficient but if you want to save some info to be used later in context to something else like a reference or quotation, then saving a piece of text on notes might be the way forward. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12. thisismyusername macrumors 6502

I usually put that kind of stuff in Google Keep. I use it all the time, for both work and personal reasons, as a dumping ground for all kinds of random, short notes. I used to use Evernote but switched when they limited their free version to only 2 devices; I just can’t see paying for that when Google Keep is just as good for me. I’ll sometimes take a screenshot as well or instead, depending on the content and its purpose.

13. thewap macrumors 6502a

thewap

14. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

I use Instapaper with its highlighting feature. Saves the website in a more readable format for later viewing and then I go and highlight/make notes with the text, which is then searchable using their app/website. Really only works with text-based pages.

Otherwise, I bookmark important webpages that I want to refer to later in a series of folders.

15. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Usually just take a screenshot and add a tag. It is then saved into Google Photos for the foreseeable future.

16. chabig macrumors 603

I hate screenshots because they are static. Use the share sheet and save the webpage to a note instead. It'll be clickable and still show a preview.

17. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

Use the Reading List in Safari. There is a setting you can turn on that will save everything on your reading list to the iPad so you can read them even without an internet connection.

18. RevTEG macrumors 6502a

RevTEG

I use Instapaper also. Works great.

19. max2 thread starter macrumors 68030

How many devices did Evernote use to support in their free version ?

20. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

Depends on how I intend to use it.

If it’s an article I want to come back to later, pocket. Alternatively, pinboard or reading list can work as well. For multiple articles pertaining to a common theme or topic, the notes app works pretty well.

If it’s a text snippet that you find yourself reusing on a regular basis, I save it in Copied.

For images, save it as a photo or screenshot it, then put them in a folder.

For apps, I use lookmark.

Anything I missed?

21. max2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks what is Copied?

22. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

It's something like a clipboard management app. Basically, you can choose to save snippets of text to it. Then you can paste them via a keyboard extension. The website below gives a rather in-depth explanation.

https://www.macstories.net/ios/ipad-diaries-clipboard-management-with-copied-and-workflow/

For example, say I find myself issuing a standard set of instructions to a taxi driver every time I hail one via an app. I can save that snippet to copied. Then switch to the keyboard, locate and insert the text, then switch back. Saves me the trouble of having to type everything all over again every time.

The challenge is identifying which text snippets you find yourself re-using on a regular basis, but once you do, it can be a real time saver.

23. thisismyusername macrumors 6502

Prior to the summer of 2016, it was unlimited.

24. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Screenshots. Lots of screenshots. OneNote web clipper for Chrome on my Mac/PCs though I haven't been using that one as much.

25. Brammy macrumors 65816

This is what I do. Daily minutiae goes into Notes.

Work notes are in OneNote so I can access them natively on my work PC.