how do you save shsh blobs?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by poohbear19, Dec 27, 2010.

1. poohbear19 macrumors regular

poohbear19

sorry i don't understand how you use shsh's. Like I bought a used iphone so i think someone already picked the "Make my life easier" option and the shsh's for all the 4.x firmwares except 4.2.1 are up there. Does that mean I can stop there? How would i be able to use that if it's in a phone that is bricked?

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

When you save SHSH files, they are either on Cydia's server (access by editing your computer's host file) or through Tinyumbrella (locally on your hard drive). They are not saved on the device itself. And, you are using the "brick" term incorrectly. If a phone is brick, there's nothing you can do with it. Just like a brick. The term you should be using is if it's stuck in recovery or DFU mode you can use old saved SHSH files to restore to older firmware(s).

The person who owned the phone previously allowed Cydia to save current and future SHSH files automatically so you don't have to do anything else. Thus, if 4.3 comes out, Cydia will save 4.3 and so on.

3. poohbear19 thread starter macrumors regular

poohbear19

Ohh so what is the point of downloading tinyumbrella then? Or is that for mac users only? Lol i just see a lot of youtubers use that word "brick" alot.

4. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Tinyumbrella allows you to save the current SHSH locally and have Cydia saved them too. In the future, when Apple only allows 4.3, you can use Tinyumbrella to trick Itunes into allowing you to restore with your saved 4.2.1 SHSH file.

5. poohbear19 thread starter macrumors regular

poohbear19

but can cydia alone still save the shsh for 4.2.1?

6. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

It can if you did the make my life easier button.

7. noiceT macrumors 6502a

Just download the latest TinyUmbrella and press the button "Save SHSH". So it will save 4.2.1 as well.

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Some of the people on youtube aren't that bright.
    Tiny umbrella is your best option for saving SHSH blobs, because you can save them even if you're not jailbroken.

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

LOL youtube algo got flying dogs, iPad3 and 4s, iPhone5 and 6s, huge Lego ball rolling down San Francisco Bay, space ships, aliens ..... I think you get the point by now! :rolleyes:

10. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

If I had previously been JB'd while on 4.1, how do I know if I have the blobs saved? I'm stock 4.2.1. now but wanted to downgrade to 4.1 - I've found out how...but I don't know if the blobs are saved on my computer. would iTunes have done it automatically everytime I was JB'd but synced, or Cydia? Where would they be?

edit: have Windows

11. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

You need to use tinyumbrella to see if the blobs are saved.

www.tinyumbrella.us