Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you say iPod touch?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
We're honestly getting a bit sick of cleaning up the nitpicking over this issue that has taken dozens of threads off-topic. As long as there is no genuine confusion over what the poster means, let it go. Please.

Feel free to vent here in this thread if it will help though. Just keep it in here. :D

angels lust

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
Because some people say 'iPod Touch' and some say 'iPod touch.'
The correct way is the second one with the word 'touch' lowercases but many people know that.

Oh, you mean type not say. Yeah I have a "iPod capital-T-ouch" ;)

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
Its annoying slang. The admins should do the world a favor and censor the word "itouch"

It reminds me of when I was a kid and all the old people calling every video game console and video game a "Nintendo." Or using Nintendo as a noun. You cant play a Nintendo and a Sega Genesis is not a Nintendo. Its ignorance due to laziness. Dont be ignorant and say "iTouch", there is no such thing as an iTouch and its not faster to type "iTouch" vs "touch."

It's not an Ipod it is an iTouch with ipod features.

You can not type on an ipod nor connect to the internet on an ipod.
Huh? Yes it is an iPod, its an iPod touch series. Where on the Apple site does it say its not an iPod but an "iTouch"?

archi17

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
Australia
I call it an iPod Touch, but who cares what people call it. And i really hate it when people yell at everyone else that calls it an iTouch. Who care, you only get angry because that is how you see everyone else react to it so people feel they should to. But if we all lived in a world where no body have ever heard it called an iTouch before, and no body had heard some body get angry over an iTouch, than if somebody said iTouch, than you would just let it slip over you head. Who cares, just ignore it, you know what they mean.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Its annoying slang. The admins should do the world a favor and censor the word "itouch"...

Yes brother, iTouch is not a word found in the Newspeak Dictionary. And those that use slang are clearly enemies of the State, but if we only censor what these dissidents write or say they'll still be able to think it.

Thought crime should not go unpunished! Yes, internment camps are cheap to build and highly effective but the Ministry of Love's ultimate weapon against these thought criminals is Room 101, for there we can make their brains perfect before we blow them out.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Okay, I have an idea.

Who makes the device in question? Apple.

What do they call it? iPod touch.

Guess that answers the question. We should be saying and writing it as:

iPod touch. :)

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
hahaha... finally somebody makes me fun today. why is it annoying when people it itouch? do you represent Apple? whatever it is called, it doesn't matter. even I am ridiculous to post like this here.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
You left a few options off the poll. Both my wife and I have an iPod Touch, and now I've got a 4th gen Nano and she a 3rd gen Nano. So she keeps her hands off myTouch and myNano, and I keep mine off herTouch and herNano. Yet from her point of view, myPods are ourPods. :D

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
iTouch is almost getting as annoying as when people feel the need to put an apostrophe in every plural!

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico

Wow, I'm surprised only one person has flamed you for that; let me be the next.

Then according to you, people should call the iPod nano, 'iNano' since it has different software and hardware features than the iPod classic?
The iPod touch is and iPod!!!!
It's just a different version of the iPod.
The Apple site says 'iPod touch.'
When Steve Jobs introduced the new iPod touch on Tuesday he didn't say "And now we're going to focus on the iTouch," now did he?
And on the back of the iPod touch it doesn't say 'iTouch' now does it?

If the correct ways is iPod touch, why do you have iPod Touch in your sig?

That's from before I knew it had a lowercase 't.'
I have yet to update it.

pwn247

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
West Virginia, USA
There is no such product as an iTouch. And if there is, it's likely a no-name mockup of the iPod Touch from Apple.

I call it the iPod Touch, with a capital T, because saying "touch" sounds like a) the next word in the sentence, or b) a typo. :p Since you're still writing the title of a product, the T needs to be capitalized.

KingofAwesome

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
I call it a touch, or an iTouch, or whatever I feel like calling it.

To the people having a fit over this: Is it really that much of an issue? Are you sure that your time is worth so little that you have to correct people on the internet? Do you have so little control in the rest of your life that you need to try to exert control over the branding of an Apple product? This is worse than the people who want everyone to call it "GNU/Linux" instead of Linux.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
There is no such product as an iTouch. And if there is, it's likely a no-name mockup of the iPod Touch from Apple.

I call it the iPod Touch, with a capital T, because saying "touch" sounds like a) the next word in the sentence, or b) a typo. :p Since you're still writing the title of a product, the T needs to be capitalized.

Actually, you're right and wrong.
There IS a product(s) called the iTouch; and even though they're mockup deviced they are still real products.
3 Different versions; iTouch, iTouch LE, and iTouch SE.
*look at the links I provided in my first post.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Speech - iPod Touch
Write - iPT, iPod Touch and Touch for variation.

I love watching the nerds get their panties in a twist one way or the other. Viva these inane threads.

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
I blame the iPhone for all this arguing over the name lol

my question is, if the iPhone never excisted and the ipod touch was still released would ppl refer to it as an iTouch ................ don't be quick to go of course they would because (and this is my thoughts) I think the iPhone made people start saying iTouch

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I

Umm, yes I can. On the ipod touch.

By your line of thinking, we shouldn't be calling computers "computers" because the original computers did not have sound or a keyboard or a monitor. You couldn't do those things on the original computer, so it can't be called a computer.

roboius

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2006
stop bleating

I really wish people would stop bleating about the iPod T[t]ouch vs. iTouch thing. You know what they mean. It is more succinct, if not the official name. How come no one cares about grammar and spelling in anything that is not a brand name? Someone correcting there/their in a reply is being a pedant. It is equally puerile to dwell on the use of iTouch. Answer the questions asked, and grow up!

therealmrbob

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008

How is it an iTouch? where did that even start?
It's an iPod touch, it would be okay to call it a touch if you're in a forum where everyone knows you're talking about an iPod.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Language is a virus

As the debate rages on, the banner ad that often appears at the bottom of the page has all the (keyword) bases covered...

itouch-marketing.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.