How do you scan your iTunes album art?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nubben, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Nubben macrumors regular

Nubben

Hi,

I wanted to get a feel for what people do/use to get the best possible album art scans (apart from downloading pristine high-res from iTunes that is) for their iTunes libraries.

I have a Canon LiDE 500F scanner and Photoshop Elements 6 and have set up the following procedure:

1. Scan in 150dpi
    2. In advanced settings in the Canon ScanGear I have only Auto Tone pre-selected.
    3. Crop the image
    4. Resize to 700 x 700 pixels
    5. Use a mixture of "Adjust saturation" and "Brightness" to get the right colors (have never gotten good results from the "auto" adjustments)
    6. Use the anti-blemish tool to take out any dust/spots etc
    7. Unsharpen Mask...
    8. Save with (1) Max quality (12), (2) Optimized
    9. I also automatically add the color profile in the Elements' save dialog box.

How do you do it?

I am particularly interested in point 9 and the color profile. Is that something you do as well? I often find that while a scan looks great in Elements it comes out quite dark in iTunes - why is this?

Also, which is considered the best scanner - are non-flatbed scanners considered better?

Thanks in advance.

Nubben

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I actually just download mine from Wikipedia or from Amazon. I figure why bother of someone has already done of for me.

3. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

+1.

4. Nubben thread starter macrumors regular

Nubben

Thanks for your replies.

It's just that I am particularly anal about my covert art. If I do get good scans from iTunes I will defnitiely use those, but a lot of the times iTunes either doesn't sell the album or the scans themselves are really bad.

I do appreciate though that some people cannot be bothered with the scanning. Fair enough.

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Amazon almost always works for me. Often I think they're supplied by the label, so the quality is as good as you could want.

6. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

+2

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I have grown lazy… but usually just pop it on to the scanner and use a preset I created with Canon's scanner software…

Lately though I have noticed the Cover art you get from Amazon.com's MP3 downloads are even better — ie. larger — than the ones used in the CD section.

8. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I tend to just do a Google image search. The only times this method has failed is with extremely small/obscure bands.

9. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I rarely have to scan anything, but if I do I use 300 dpi.

10. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

11. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

300 dpi, 1250x1250 pixels - sounds rather large at first, but TVs and screens get larger and larger, and I don't want to be stuck with 300x300 artwork when using Front Row on my (future) TV.

Also learned some nice tricks in Photoshop during the process. :)

12. Nubben thread starter macrumors regular

Nubben

c-Row: How big (in KB/MB) are your image files? At 1250x1250, 300dpi they would be quite large right?

Also, care to share some of your "neat tricks"? :)

Nubben

13. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

I got the amazon album art widget for my dashboard. Now awesome album art is just a matter of typing the album or artist name in the search window, and I don't have to apply it myself, just highlight the songs and click apply and you're done! It seems that when iTunes doesn't have the artwork, often times Amazon will.

SLC

14. nep61 macrumors 6502

+1....

To the OP... I'm anal about a lot of things too, but my iPod is usually in my pocket, or in the cup holder in my car... the Art work is nice to have as a quick visual reminder of the Artist... but I rarely look at it... but, hey... knock yourself out if it's that important to you, go for it.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I buy music off iTunes; comes with album art.

16. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

I boot up my Windows PC and get all creative in MSPaint....I like to be original!!! :cool:

Oh....okay....I use Amazon too! If they don't have it HMV usually does!

17. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

There is a pretty good dashboard widget that is called Album Art (or something like that). It integrates iTunes music and artwork from Amazon and other sites.

18. hexonxonx macrumors 601

In the times that it takes to scan something, you can find it on the internet in less than a minute. There has only been one CD that I could not find a cover for and that was because the CD has been out of print for 15 years. I don't even have the CD, just the vinyl copy and I can't really scan that cover, it's too big.

19. creationmyth macrumors newbie

+2

I usually don't care enough to color-correct. However, I do wait the day when itunes will have some kind of e-booklet capability that could be browsed using the cover art window. That might force me to break out the ol scanner for a few weeks.