How do you see which members of a group iMessage have read the message

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Ggvfvgbffbf, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Ggvfvgbffbf macrumors member

Simple as that really. If I send an iMessage to an individual I can see if/when they have read it -(subject to them having read receipts switched on).

I'm sending a group iMessage to several people, (all of whom allow read receipts), but I can't see if they've read the message.

Is it possible?

2. KTK1990 macrumors 6502

It isn't possible sadly. Group messages doesn't show that.

3. Ggvfvgbffbf thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks. Seems like something of an oversight. Maybe something for iOS 9.

4. KTK1990 macrumors 6502

For small groups it is, but I can imagine it being cluttered when there is a large group or if one person is offline and doesn't get the message.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like for group messaging they don't consider that to be as much of a useful piece of information. In a one-on-one conversation it makes sense given that you can at least see if the person saw your message if you are waiting for a reply from them--since it can only come from them an no one else. In a group conversation that aspect doesn't play as much of a role since random people in the group can respond even if some haven't read some message. It's not to say that it wouldn't be a nice feature for some, but that it might have less usability/usefulness overall, which is perhaps part of the reason why it hasn't been implemented.

6. Ggvfvgbffbf thread starter macrumors member

I agree with you. Personally I tend to use group iMessages for just 3/4 people -family members or a group of friends. I sent one the other day, 'don't forget mum's birthday on Sunday' or something like that to my brothers + sister. It would just be nice to have that functionality in such a case to see that they've read it.