How do you select between 2.4 & 5.0 Ghz

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mac2thefuture, Oct 17, 2010.

1. mac2thefuture macrumors 65816

hello, i have a time capsule, an :apple:TV (1st gen) & two macbook pros within our household. I found out that if you press the option key and click on your wireless network icon it will display what frequency you're running on.
    Mine says 2.4. I understand that 5.0 is better and would like to know how and where it's selectable.
    Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If the Time Capsule is your router, then you have to use AirPort Utility to change that, but mine is set to automatic and I have channel 36 (5GHz) to connect to, but I also have all 802.11n capable devices in my household.

Maybe have a look at the manual of your router?

3. mac2thefuture thread starter macrumors 65816

OK, thanks for the swift reply. My router was provided by my ISP and is a sky netgear. I didn't know you could use a time capsule as a direct router, i may look into this but i assume its quite complicated.....Thanks though,:)

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's easy as making spaghetti al oglio, it even takes less time.

Look here: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/TimeCapsule_SetupGuide.pdf

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

In the uk, the router is often the modem as well. You could stick the time capsule behind the ISP router and set it to bridge mode and then create a separate 5ghz network. Then you could choose which network works best. 2.4 usually has greater range but more interference.

6. mac2thefuture thread starter macrumors 65816

When i wrote this post after pressing option and clicking the wireless icon i did get an indication of 2.4ghz on channel 1. Now when i look its on 5 ghz , channel 100. Can i keep it on this frequency or is it best to leave it on automatic?