Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
Hi Everyone,

I did some searching for this and what I found says to enable text message forwarding, which I don't see as an option under "messages". I'd like to be able to send non iMessage texts to my friends that don't have Apple devices. Thanks!!

J.Gallardo

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2017
Spain
Hi Everyone,

I did some searching for this and what I found says to enable text message forwarding, which I don't see as an option under "messages". I'd like to be able to send non iMessage texts to my friends that don't have Apple devices. Thanks!!
It works from my iMac using "Messages", which I suppose it's somehow paired with Messages in my iPhone. Messages can send to @icloud adresses (in fact, to an Apple ID), OR send SMSs to phone numbers, but these are really sent from iPhone, I presume. (Almost never use Messages in mac... but I opened it just to confirm you can use an address in Contact, even not having an Apple ID, but phone number, and then message is green colour -instead of blue- , like in an iOS device).

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
My messages in settings doesn't have Text Message Forwarding

what ios are you running? here, in messages (on my phone), text message forwarding is there, and i've selected my macbook to share messages, and have no problems with my android-using friends (i do a lot of texting from my mac, and it always is in sync with the phone).

Reactions: Peadogie

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
what ios are you running? here, in messages (on my phone), text message forwarding is there, and i've selected my macbook to share messages, and have no problems with my android-using friends (i do a lot of texting from my mac, and it always is in sync with the phone).

I'm running a beta, which may be why I don't have it. Version 13.4

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
am on the betas as well. but... i just turned off imessage on the phone, turned it back on... and now that setting no longer shows.

yet everything is still working. perhaps this is a bug in the current version? and it works because i set it to connect with my macbook previously? am not sure, hopefully someone else will have thoughts.

• Wow
Reactions: Peadogie

Peadogie

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2019
Georgia, USA
...message is green colour -instead of blue- , like in an iOS device...
SMS is always green, iMessage blue. Normal behavior. Also, if any person in a group message does not have an iPhone Messages will default to SMS (green bubble).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.