How do you set up LAN-sharing between OSX and Playstation 3?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ramius, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Ramius macrumors 6502

I have a MacBook, and a Playstation 3.
    They are right next to each other, on the same network.
    I use my PS3 to play movies and such on my big screen TV.
    For this, I put the files on a usb plug. This is ineffecient.

How can I set up sharing over LAN?
    PS3 supports something called "Media Server". What do I need to do to make that?

The ideal way, would be to have a folder in OSX, that I could drop files in, that PS3 had access to.

2. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

3. xsimsimx macrumors member

xsimsimx

4. psxguru macrumors 6502a

5. xsimsimx macrumors member

xsimsimx

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

7. Ramius thread starter macrumors 6502

So out of all OSX many sharing features, there´s no way I can make a media server natively? Without downloading some program?

8. Ramius thread starter macrumors 6502

These aren´t very easy to understand, these two programs. But so far Majestic works the best.

Now that´s misleading of me to say, because none of them really works. I get the media server and can access it with no frustration. But video playback sucks. It lags constantly. It is incapable of playing a video smoothly. So this whole ordeal is ineffecient!

Pictures works fine. But why does it lag so much? I use wireless internet. How does that work with LAN stuff?

9. funkdoctor macrumors member

[QUOTE\

How can I set up sharing over LAN?
    PS3 supports something called "Media Server". What do I need to do to make that?

The ideal way, would be to have a folder in OSX, that I could drop files in, that PS3 had access to.[/QUOTE]

I ***highly*** recommend Rivet. It works amazingly well on my Mac mini, which is streaming 100 gb of dvd rips at all times. It's never let me down, and streams itunes and iphoto as well. Pretty silly.

10. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

I've been using medialink for about 2 years without any major issues. At the time, there were no free alternatives, but If I were you I'd try out some of the freebies listed above and, if not work for you, give medialink a shot.

11. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

Your macbook is around $1000. Your PS3 is around $300 and then you all become squeamish over $20 MediaLink / Rivet??

I personally am very impressed with MediaLink --- 30 min stream trial is available for free --- but am thinking about the new Apple TV.

What is the main differences between using MediaLink+PS3 over Apple TV?

Also, with Rivet I had/have a horrible time with their other app RipIt app --- nothing ever ripped and I never heard from them when I emailed them.

Right now, MediaLink looks like a solid investment.

12. Ramius thread starter macrumors 6502

I don´t pay for programs, especially not small ones. Theres just so much more worthy products in the world you can spend 20 dollars on.

13. Ramius thread starter macrumors 6502

I just tried Rivet and it was completely unable to show up on the PS3 as a media server.

The program "PS3 Media Server" does by far the best job in contacting the PS3 over the network, and it seems Majestic is only capable of doing so AFTER launching PS3MS.

Launching Majestic alone, will make it impossible to contact the PS3.

It also seems I was testing with the wrong kind of file. See I was using a high res tv recording to try to stream to PS3, and no matter what I did, it would always lag. But 350mb episodes of tv shows in Xvid now works flawlessly with no lag. So that´s good news.

The bad side is, the quality is not as good as when I play from usb plug.
    So even though Majestic has the nicest interface, PS3 Media Server produces the best results.

14. Ramius thread starter macrumors 6502

I think the lesson of life here is that, if you can´t feed your baby, then don´t have a baby.

And don´t think maybe, If you can´t feed your baby

15. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

way to troll your own thread.

your network is obviously not fast enough. I've never had a problem streaming to my xbox (with ps3mediaserver, believe it or not) but I have a wireless A adapter. 2X the speed of G.

I've seen bad performance from G networks streaming media wirelessly, but are you even surprised? Hardwire it or get a faster router, those are your choices.

Also, really with the "it doesn't do it natively waaaaa!" BS? The only reason microsoft made mediacenter work on the xbox is because they make both. Ever heard of this thing called apple tv? its 99 freaking dollars and would make your life a lot easier.

16. Ramius thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol, typical Apple nerd to blame everything else but Apples own products.
    Wireless network runs at 54mbit locally, more than fast enough for a video transfer. So why can´t the Mac pull it off good enough? Ever asked yourself that question?

17. Ramius thread starter macrumors 6502

On a more serious note. What is transcoding?
    It seems the video quality actually got better when I turned transcoding off.

But all these programs try to make transcoding sound like an advantage. Whats your take on this folks?