How do you setup a 2nd HD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by butters149, Apr 28, 2010.

1. butters149 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have a late 2009 macbook pro unibody 15", I recently upgraded to the Intel SSD and just bought one of those optibays, I did not install or setup the SSD, someone else did. I am looking to use my old 500GB hitachi 5400rpm HD in the Optical drive slot, do I have to set the pins to slave since my SSD is master? What do I do when I get into mac osx? I want to erase everything and use it as a storage.

Thanks,

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Open Disk Utility and select the HD from left-hand-side menu and click Erase tab. Then just erase it and start using it as storage

3. butters149 thread starter macrumors 6502

But when I saw the guy do it, he selected GUID? do i have to do that as well? Will bootcamp windows 7 know which drive to use to bootup?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

DO you already have Windows 7 in that drive? Yes, select GUID, it's best ofr OS X, AFAIK. Do you already have OS X in the SSD?

5. butters149 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have installed both OSX and windows 7 in the SSD, they will be for my programs and games.

My 5400RPM HD also has OSX and Windows 7, but i want to use it to store movies, music and pictures. So do I just erase? Do I need to make partition or whatever its called?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just do what I said in my first post, open Disk Utility and erase it. Then it's empty and ready for use