How do you setup a proxy server?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by happle, Jul 2, 2010.

1. happle macrumors 6502a

ok well im trying to use a proxy server in my browser because my dumb brother went on my accounts on some forums and posted stupid things and got me banned. i made a new account but i guess that forum must check your ip and or other info.

i would like to setup a proxy server so that my ip and any other info is hidden or shown as a different ip than my normal.

how can this be done? iv tried one way but it didn't work. id like some instructions from someone knowledgable. thanks in advance!

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Change Your Mac IP Address Manually
    #
    Step 1

Select the network configuration that has the green dot next to it, from the "TCP/IP" screen you opened before. This is your active connection and will probably be the "Built-In-Ethernet" option in the drop-down box. Then click the "Configure" button at the bottom of the dialog box.
    #
    Step 2

Click the "Configure IPV4" drop down menu next and choose "Manually."
    #
    Step 3

Type in your new IP address in the box under the TCP/IP menu. Simply delete the number that is in there and enter your new one.
    #
    Step 4

Click "Save." Your address has now been changed.

---------

By the way, I copied and pasted that info from this article: http://www.ehow.com/how_2091900_change-mac-ip-address.html So that you wouldn't have to go through the webpage and find the info :D

Good luck!

3. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

what ip do i type in? i cant just type random numbers. and wont my ip still show up from verizon fios? becuase right now if i check my ip i know its a verizon fios ip and i know its always the same. sorry im pretty newbish when it comes to this stuff. i make music on my mac thats about it hah.

also the ip thats shown when i check it on an ip check website is different from my ipv4 ip. i think the site is blocking the ip that is given to me by my router. i could be wrong though.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I suppose you can type in any number you want. But if the internet stops working, its because you've selected an IP address that already exists. Just reset and try a different one if that happens.

5. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

read what i said above. i edited. the ipv4 isnt the ip that is shown when i check my ip.

6. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a