How do you skip/play/pause on iTunes without being "in" iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by superspiffy, Apr 28, 2007.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

Is there a way to program the keyboard to add shortcuts for basic playback functions on iTunes without having to be "in" iTunes? You know what I mean? (Keep in mind I'm very new to OS X...) I know there are keyboard shortcuts (ex: apple key + arrows = skip forward/back and spacebar = play/pause) but it annoys me because I have to click on the iTunes windows first for the iTunes keyboard shortcuts to work.

I guess what I'm saying is that I want to be able to access basic music playback functions and at the same time, be on whatever application.

2. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

You can use command-tab to switch applications quickly. Then just use the keyboard shortcuts. I have seen apps somewhere before that put the controls in the menu bar, but the keyboard works for me. (sorry, can't think of the name of the app(s))

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You can setup keyboard shortcuts using Quicktunes, works very well. Very small app. Also Barquee works very well.

I use Quicksilver for this type of problem cause it is the best program ever (and free).

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

There are lots of iTunes controllers. I use iMote. I have F1-F3 set to play/pause, next, and previous, and option+F1-F6 for song ratings.

5. gameguy3001 macrumors member

What you caould also do is use the itunes widget if you want. also you couls right click (control click without a two button mouse) and it will show those options no matter what program your in.

6. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

ByteController will put iTunes controls on your Menu Bar where they will always be available. It's very handy.

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i use sizzling keys. it lets me do the things i want to do quickly. check it out.

8. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

It was mentioned above, but Quicksilver also has the ability to control iTunes.

CoverSutra, the application I use to display my album art, also supports global hotkeys for iTunes as well.

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

There! Fixed the misspelled coversutra link for you (u and s were mixed around) :)