How do you sleep the screen when there's no eject button?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hojoon0724, Jun 20, 2012.

1. hojoon0724 macrumors regular

So I use the sleep screen shortcut a lot (control+shift+disk eject) but I noticed the new retina models don't have the eject button (obviously).

Does anyone know what the new shortcut is?

2. RabidMacFan macrumors regular

I'm wondering the same thing. It doesn't look like there is a new shortcut. I don't like some of the clunky alternatives, such as using an automator script to start the screensaver, or using a Hot Corner which I regularly use for Expose. Shift-Control-Option-Power restarts the computer, and it doesn't look like there are any other hotkeys to put the display to sleep.

3. 7even macrumors 6502a

I use BetterTouchTool to map a 5-finger tap to sleep the screen. You can pretty much map any keyboard / mouse / trackpad action to anything using it.

4. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

5. simsaladimbamba

And again, the above are not solutions to the OP's wish.

OP, BetterTouchTool seems to be your best bet, or pressing down the F1 key.

6. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

7. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

8. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

But solutions none the less for other people who may come along later with the same question.

9. RabidMacFan macrumors regular

Display sleep is good for several reasons.

When your computer is operating in the background, but your not at the computer for a short period of time, display sleep saves energy. Display sleep can also automatically lock the screen and require a password to unlock, protecting you from bad guys (or co-workers) who want to mess with your computer.

Putting your entire computer to sleep locks the computer, but does not let it operate in the background.

Dimming the screen with the brightness keys (F1 key) saves energy, but does not lock the screen and require a password to unlock.

I tried BetterTouchTool, but I had issues with clicks not registering, especially when I was trying to click-and-drag an item on the screen. So BetterTouchTool is not for me unless I can find a way to fix that issue.

10. bryne macrumors member

bryne

11. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Use the Desktop and Screen Savers Control Panel to specify a "Hot Corner" and choose function as "Put Display to Sleep" -- I use the bottom left corner. It works great, and will allow things like Safari downloads or Transmission, etc to still run while your display is asleep. This will also lock the machine but allow your background processes to run. Good luck.