How do you sleep?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by appleguy123, Jun 11, 2012.

?

How do you sleep?

1. On my stomach

12.3%
  2. On my back

16.9%
  3. On my side- left down

18.5%
  4. On my side- right down

13.8%
  5. On my side, no preference

30.8%
  6. Other?

7.7%
  1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

There probably isn't a better time to post this than 5 AM. :D I cannot sleep unless I'm on my side. I actually feel more comfortable on my back, but I can't sleep in that position.

2. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I developed a habit of sleeping on my back some years ago. Prior to that, I slept on my stomach with my face to the side.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I normally sleep on my back, but have been known to change positions. I think I need a new mattress, though. :eek:

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Sorry, but I have made it a point to not reply to public polls here. :)

5. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I sleep best on my side but wish I could sleep on my back or stomach since its way easier on my shoulders and joints.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Usually, I sleep like a baby. No, literally, my body rolled up in the fetal position, and completely covered so that the heat radiating from my body gets trapped. It gets warm like a womb.

I used to sleep on my stomach. It was amazing. I would quickly fall asleep, and at a 100% success rate. I couldn't sleep in any other position, but why did I need to? Then, I was convinced that being able to sleep on my back was a good skill, and may be better for my back and posture, so I trained myself to sleep on my back. Now I need to sleep on my back, or perhaps my sides. An attempt to sleep on my stomach will result in little sleep success. :rolleyes:

If it ain't broke....

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

On my side, no preference.

I envy people who can sleep on their backs because I'm sure it's better for your spine/posture and makes for fewer wrinkles (side = mushed up face and chest). I just cannot fall asleep on my back unless I am heavily sedated, sometimes not even then. :-/

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I sleep on my side, generally on the right but I tend to switch a couple times over the course of the night. I find my knees and hips get uncomfortable sleeping on my side, so I always sleep with a fantastic memory foam body pillow that I'm completely addicted to.

If I'm sleeping on a harder surface, i.e. when camping or on an aerobed or something, I find it much easier to sleep on my stomach, but it sometimes strains my neck.

9. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

10. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

That's how I sleep too, except that I keep a pillow between my knees too.
    +1 I try to sleep on my back, but can't. I think it has to do with it being harder to breathe for me.

----------

Link to the pillow you use? At home I use a memory foam bed. Love it to death.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I sleep on my side, in a fetal position. Mostly with my right side down on the mattress.

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I don't even have breathing for a reason. It's a total mystery to me why I can't sleep on my back. I will lay there for hours and my mind won't shut off. Then I finally get sick of it and roll over and go right to sleep. WTF is that about?

13. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Definitely the illuminati. No question.

14. Frosticus macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

Having a lot of trouble sleeping myself lately.

For some reason, sleeping on my right hand side right on the edge of the bed is the most comfortable. Probably because my gf steals the rest of the bed and ends up nearly pushing me out!

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

16. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Tell me about it.(notice the time stamp on the thread). I'm going on 36 hours w/o any shut eye. My problem is that I'm not tired. I don't take superfluous amounts of caffeine, or stimulant medication, so I don't know what's up with that.

I'm going to go for 48 hours, and then try to get onto a normal sleep schedule.

17. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Actually that may very well be due to the fact you need a new mattress. The support generally diminishes faster towards the center, where people tend to sleep more. The edges hold up longer, and will provide a bit more support. UNLESS, you sit in the edge of the bed a lot, than that theory is toast.

I've noticed this because every old mattress I've slept on, I always gravitated towards the edges, but on new mattresses, I was fine in the center.

P.S. memory foam sucks for sex... At least I think they do. I have one, and it no bouncy-bouncy, the sex equivalent to running in the sand, I'd imagine.

18. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I disagree. It's accuracy that makes you work for a good cause. Recoil thrust is for sissies. :p

19. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

And thus was the end of the thread about sleeping.

20. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

It was bound to come up.

Really though, it'll all turn round to sleep eventually. That's how it goes. :D

21. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Most often on my side, but I switch sides often depending on what's more comfortable that night. Sometimes sleep on my back, never on my stomach (no clue how people do this :confused: )

Sleeping on your back is supposedly better, but it's also more difficult to fall asleep in this position.

And I seem to always need some sort of blanket/covers even if it's during the middle of summer, and I leave one foot out of the covers for climate control ;)

22. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I sleep like a baby in the winter. I like to be bundli against the cold when I sleep.

23. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

24. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I was going to say the same thing. Sometimes all of the above in just one night.

25. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

I'm the exact same way! Laying on my back is so comfortable but I can never fall asleep like that. I have to turn to my right side to fall asleep. I almost never fall asleep on my left. It's weird and I really wish i could sleep on my back.