How do you start screen sharing with tiger and leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iHadaStiff1, May 4, 2008.

1. iHadaStiff1 macrumors newbie

Ok, I have Tiger, she has leopard, so how do we start screen sharing? I turned on remote desktop sharing, and she says she still can't request to see my desktop.

I want her to see my desktop because we're editing a video, thanks for any help.

2. iHadaStiff1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I already googled and came up with that, it says to turn on Remote Desktop Sharing(because I want to share my Tiger desktop), which I already did and said I did in my first post. Thanks anyway.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Gotta read the whole thing: "For the Leopard-from-Tiger direction, you need a separate, free application. Screen Sharing is based on, and compatible with, VNC, a widely used remote-control protocol. You can thus use a VNC client under Tiger to connect to Leopard systems. First, on the Leopard Mac, in the Sharing preference pane's Screen Sharing item, click Computer Settings, and then check the VNC box and enter a password; note that VNC doesn't rely on or integrate with Mac OS X user accounts. Back on the Tiger Mac, install the free Chicken of the VNC, and use it to connect to and control the Leopard Mac. (A VNC client on Macs running older versions of Mac OS X or computers running other platforms can also work with Leopard's Screen Sharing.) Chicken of the VNC can discover local systems, including those running Leopard, that are sharing screens by using Bonjour; or you can enter a remote, routable IP address. Screen Sharing plus NAT traversal simplifies having remote access to your own system or systems, as well as providing tech support to colleagues and your family members."

4. iHadaStiff1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't want control over her leopard desktop, I want her to have control and see over my desktop which is tiger.

5. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

See http://www.macminicolo.net/Mac_VNC_tutor.html

I set this up & can screen share with my Mac mini running Tiger from my iMac running Leopard. I can also mount any of the drives connected to the iMac from the Mac mini.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

As the article says, viewing a Tiger desktop from Leopard should require no extra software. The key caveat in the description is "routable IP address." If you are sharing on the same subnet, then you don't have to worry, it should work. If you are not on the same subnet, and are behind a router, then your router will have to be configured to port forward.