How do you store spare HDs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by barnetda, Nov 16, 2009.

1. barnetda macrumors regular

I use Voyager Q for backing up my hard drives.

I have 4 external hard drives abd just wonder if there is a neat storage system that you guys use.
    I am concerned that just leaving my Hard Drives unprotected will result in damage at some stage.

A neat box solution or something like that.
    Any ideas?

2. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I'm assuming you're using at least some of those drives for rotating backup purposes?

If so, I'd be less concerned about neatness than about rotating backups out of the house so fire or theft doesn't rob me of all my data.

A hard-sided cigar case with a soft/anti-static padded interior or sleeve for the drive would be good. Or you can find these nifty hermetically-sealed Lexan cases at Fry's that would be perfect. The idea is: Back your system up, then take that drive out to your car or trusted neighbor's house or wherever your "off-site" storage might be, and swap it for the previous drive you stored there. Rotate your drives that way and they'll remain in top condition. If something awful happens to your house or car, you haven't lost everything. Similarly, if a drive fails, you aren't suddenly backup-less in this scenario.

Your choice of an off-site backup storage place depends on a lot of personal variables. If, for example, you live in the grassy California foothills where a significant risk of destruction of the entire neighborhood from wildfires is an issue, your car or a neighbor's house might not be the best choice. At some point, in fact, something like Carbonite might start looking really attractive. But for most of us just rotating to the car is a fine strategy.

Incidentally, the "fire-proof" boxes you see at places like Home Depot are useless for protecting things like hard disks from fire, but they are tough and not too costly. In a fire, they might not burn up, but be assured their contents will be well-roasted. Heat will destroy the magnetic information on your disks very handily.

3. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Every 3 months I take a full backup on a hard drive and swap it with the old one in my safe deposit box at the bank. (Can't afford to lose my stuff).

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I usually use mine up until they die a quick clicky death, at which point I paint a red X across it and burry it under the old Apple tree. (iTree is still in the works)

Of course...some drives don't have such a luxury...

[​IMG]

5. barnetda thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks very much for the detailed reply. Really appreciated.

Yes i am definitely rotating them weekly.

I will check out the Lexan cases (i dont know what they are but sounds good!!) .

I am just concerned that leaving them "naked" as such will possibly damage them accidentally.

Thanks guys.

6. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

So far, my "naked" drives have been ok in the safe deposit box. I keep them in the greyish transparent envelope thing the drive ships with, though.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I keep my backup drives in safety deposit boxes in a few banks. Works for me.