How do you store your itunes files? external or internal?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by acrahm, Jul 11, 2010.

1. acrahm macrumors regular

I was told yesterday that i should have an external drive dedicated to my itunes and all my music, videos etc. i have more then enough space on my imac's HD to store everything i need, but this person was telling me it helps with application loads if i store the itunes files on a separate, external HD.

So what is the better option? internal HD or separate external?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It makes no difference. I store mine on both, since my whole library won't fit on my internal HD. You can do it either way. It has no effect on the application loading.

3. celticpride678

I use internal as my library isn't that large and I'd like to have everything on my HD when I travel.

4. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Depends on how big your library is and what its made up of (Music/Movies/Apps)

5. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

On my iMac, I store music internally. On my Mac Mini, I have it stored externally because the mini's HD is only 80gb. I've got more than that in my iTunes collection.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What it's made up of is irrelevant. Movies, Music, Apps.... it's all zeroes and ones. As long as there's sufficient HD space, it makes no difference whether it's internal or external or both.

7. snakelda macrumors 6502

I use the internal hard drive as I don't need to carry around a hard drive to listen to music and I don't have a lot of music in my iTunes library.

8. Xavier macrumors 68020

I store them on my internal. Because I use a laptop and I like to listen to music on my laptop almost everywhere I go, its the most logical way.

But as my music library continues to grow, I have been thinking about moving it to my external. Either that or buy a new, larger internal drive.

9. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I store mine one the internal HDD which has more than enough space. I don't like that the external has to wait to spin-up whenever I select a song or something, it usually just plays right away on the Internal.

Other then that there's really no difference. I'd use an external if I didn't have enough space on the internal, but with a 1TB drive and a 28GB library, I have no trouble keeping it here.

10. Mac-Michael macrumors regular

MacBook Pro + external. I have a 16 GB iPod for when on the go.

11. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

I have mine on both, if it is large..just buy an external and if you have time machine back everything up. You will be glad just in case something happens to your mac's internal drive. Better safe than sorry, especially since music is so expensive now, and all stored digitally.