how do you stream?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by bndoarn, Jan 5, 2009.

1. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

sorry if this is a stupid question but i'm new to :apple:TV. how do you stream content from your computer to your :apple:TV? the checkbox that says "Show only the synced items on my Apple TV" in iTunes is unchecked but it still only shows what's on the :apple:TV. is it because i have Custom Sync instead of Automatic Sync? i'm running Windows XP SP3 with the latest version of iTunes and version 2.3 on my :apple:TV if that helps.

2. bndoarn thread starter macrumors 6502a

53 views and no responses? someone has to know the answer to this. I looked it up on google and it took me to the apple support and it said in the firewall make sure port 3639 (or something like that, can't remeber the exact number) was allowed and it is but it's still not streaming. can anybody help me :confused:

3. obey908 macrumors 6502a

on your apple tv - settings > computers > add shared itunes library > then some numbers will pop up, then enter them into itunes

4. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

Hello

Do as the previous post says to connect your Apple TV to the computer.

Once this is done, when you select music, movies, etc you can choose the 'output' in the bottom right hand corner of iTunes, (not on mine at the moment but I think mine has 'Computer' and 'Apple TV' as options). Assuming your Apple TV is called er, Apple TV, selecting this will stream it there. Obviously, selecting computer plays it on your er, computer.

HTH

D

5. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

this is if you're using the apple tv as a remote speaker ala air tunes. this would mean playing a song in itunes and controlling it from there.

i believe the op is referring to streaming audio or video content from an itunes library via the atv and using the atv to control the content. something that is not entirely obvious is that you have to check the items that you want to stream. in my case, i have every song and video checked in my library so that i have access to everything on my atv.

6. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

No, actually you only check the files you want to sync. Once the AppleTV is paired with an iTunes library, it will pull whatever it needs from that library, provided iTunes is running on the machine hosting the library and the host machine is connected to the network.

7. bndoarn thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the replies but i'm still having the problem, :apple:TV is paired with my computer, iTunes is opened, "Show only the synced items on my Apple TV" is unchecked, TCP Port 3689 is not blocked by the firewall, the items i want to stream are checked, idk what else to do.

8. obey908 macrumors 6502a

what happens when you go to "my shared movies" on your apple tv?

9. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i'm not talking about selecting content to sync.

10. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

Then you're not being very clear, because selecting any particular file or file type within iTunes is not required to make it available for streaming. If you are thinking of what this user is displaying on this page (link) then he is incorrect. Checking those boxes governs sync behavior only.

To the OP, I am not seeing anything too relevant to your problem in the Apple support area. Setting up the AppleTV was pretty simple, so there isn't a whole lot the user could do to cause it not to work. It might be worth starting over, resetting everything back to the default, and redoing your configuration being careful to follow all the steps in the documentation.