How do you switch between CDMA (Verizon) & GSM on the Verizon iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by b24pgg, Oct 26, 2011.

1. b24pgg macrumors 65816

I got my Verizon iPhone 4S SIM unlocked yesterday morning. When I put in my foreign SIM in the tray, the phone roams on AT&T successfully; in the Settings -> Carrier menu, when I take it off Automatic I see AT&T, T-Mobile, and another local GSM carrier.

The problem is that I can't switch back to Verizon without taking the foreign SIM out first and reconnecting to iTunes. The Carrier menu doesn't list Verizon as a option when the foreign SIM is in the phone.

Is there a way to switch between CDMA and GSM on the phone itself so I can freely switch back and forth between Verizon (CDMA) and my GSM network?

2. b24pgg thread starter macrumors 65816

Called Apple today and was told this is not possible, but the rep wasn't very knowledgeable about this so I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

Basically when a foreign SIM is in the phone, it automatically switches to GSM mode, and I haven't figured out a way to switch back to CDMA unless the SIM is removed again.

Super annoying.

3. Albitech macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have the same problem. I travel into Mexico several time a week. I have a 3G I use on telcel but I want to consolidate so I need only carry one iPhone. The card works great but I don't want to switch the card out every time I cross. Let me know if you find a solution.

4. davfer macrumors newbie

Same problem, i got an iphone 4s sprint unlocked, and i have to remove the sim card in order to get access to sprint network again

5. airmax922 macrumors member

you have to remove the forsign sim

it seems the iphone 4S put the GSM over the CDMA