iPad Pro How do you switch between internal and external SIM

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ahostmadsen, Apr 1, 2016.

1. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

Just curious. The 9.7" pro has the internal SIM. As I understand it, it's locked once you choose a carrier. Then you can insert an external SIM to choose another carrier. How do you then choose between the internal and external SIM? Is there a software option to do that? Or, whenever you have the external SIM in place, that is the one always in effect?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I believe the carriers for each SIM card shows up in settings, and you can switch between them.

3. charles4515 macrumors member

Why do you think the Embedded SIM is locked once you choose a carrier?

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Because Apple says so.

5. charles4515 macrumors member

Where? They say if you buy at a carrier store the carrier might lock it. I bought from the Apple Store. Looking for clarification.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203099

"When you activate a cellular data plan with certain carriers, your Apple SIM might be dedicated to that carrier's network. A dedicated SIM means you can't activate it on another carrier's network. For example, if you activate an AT&T plan on your iPad, your Apple SIM will be dedicated to AT&T's network. Your iPad remains unlocked, so you can buy another Apple SIM or use a standard carrier nano-SIM to change networks."

7. charles4515 macrumors member

That is not about the embedded sim. That is about a non embedded Apple SIM card.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Oh that's right. The Apple SIM can't change carriers but the "embedded" one does.

Silly me.