how do YOU sync / import your music from iTunes to your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MisterBigMack, Sep 14, 2014.

1. MisterBigMack macrumors member

Just asking because I had an iMac a year or two ago and before i sold it I purchased iTunes match, got my whole library in the cloud and downloaded what songs i wanted to my iPhone whenever i chose, this became cumbersome due to a lot of my artwork didn't download and just became a mess, so have just got a MacBook pro, which i am using right now...

now I have got my music back onto my macbook in iTunes and when I want music on my iPhone I just do the usual put usb cable in, back up and choose what songs i want and when I want to change I just delete what songs i want on the phone itself

I have found a problem when I sync the phone to iTunes, because i only have a 16gb iPhone and a 60gb library of music, Obviously I have to pick and choose what songs i want on there, so when I pick the manually manage music option in iTunes, it doesn't work as well, so for example, I download a couple of albums and go into the album on my phone and swipe and delete, it doesn't delete from the song list in iTunes......or if I delete the song from the song list in iTunes itself it doesn't actually delete from the music app on the phone!

so what I end up having is a real odd and stupid way of syncing because it doesn't coincide with each other...

now i want to ask you fine folk, how do you sync and transfer music from your iTunes library to your iPhone or iPad even..? Im presuming a lot of peoples libararys are big, and also presuming peoples iPhones aren't all 64gb, so what can I do to make this process better?

I think this worked a lot better before ios7 came out but i aren't sure...

hope this makes sense to people!

Thanks for reading

2. Dubberton macrumors regular

I've been using iTunes Match to have all my music accessible as long as there is wifi.

There have been problems and headaches even similar to what you mentioned with Match, but it's still easier than manually syncing like I used to.

https://www.apple.com/itunes/itunes-match/

3. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

I have a 16gb iphone and my library is 50GB+. I use Google Music to listen to my library anywhere. It's free.

4. MisterBigMack thread starter macrumors member

How does that work with google?

Apple does make it really easy with nearly everything

This just seems really tedious and doesn't need to be

5. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

I sync via the cable. Wifi syncing is too slow and iTunes match is a battery and data hog. I'd much rather just have everything with me.

6. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

iTunes Match is neither a battery or data hog. I barely go over 2gb a month. I stream music for 1.5 hours four times a week in the gym, during my hour commute to and from the gym... What on Earth are you talking about?

Music is the least demanding on the battery.

7. mnsportsgeek, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Of course it's a data hog. It uses infinitely more data than local storage.

Music isn't demanding at all from local storage. It is much more demanding on the battery from streaming.

8. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Sure it uses battery, but is it a hog on any of those fronts? No. Not really an issue. My batter is far from running on E at the end of the day and my data isn't going anywhere close to its allotment due to iTunes Match. Not that difficult.

9. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

If you are truly streaming music for 6 hours a week and barely using more than 2 GB of data a month, you are either not actually streaming, or you don't use your phone for anything else.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I make a playlist in iTunes called "iPhone" and sync this playlist. I don't manually manage the music, just move songs and albums in and out of this playlist.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

In my case, I started with Google Music when it was in Beta. Google let you download an app and a System Preference pane. In my case, both PowerPC capable.

Those two work together to monitor my iTunes library. Anything I add or delete, playlists I make or delete gets reflected up to Google Play.

I use Google's own app to stream the music to my phone. This works for me because all of my Macs are PowerPC and my iPhone 5 is incapable of syncing with them. I don't have to sync anything though. Just load it up in iTunes, the Google Music connection uploads it to Google Play and there it is available to the Google app on my iPhone. I don't even have to think about it.

The Google app also responds to the music controls on the lockscreen so this is a win/win for me.

12. Ayr macrumors 6502

Never heard of Google music. Need to investigate..

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's part of Google Play now. When it was first launched it was referred to as Google Music, but Google rolled it into Google Play when they launched their store.

I use the terms interchangeably just because for me it was Google Music at the beginning.

14. Ayr macrumors 6502

Ah gotcha