How do you take care of your MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by orangeillini14, Jul 31, 2008.

1. orangeillini14 macrumors regular

I want my MBP to last as long as possible so obviously I need to take care of it. What are some ways you guys care for your MBP? I clean my screen regularly, but what are some other ways to keep it look fresh? :cool::D

2. xxMacAttackxx macrumors member

xxMacAttackxx

I use a incase hardshell, along with an incase sleeve.. They make good products. I also clean my macbook regularly, with compressed air and iklear..

3. DJAznSensation macrumors member

DJAznSensation

i plan on getting an Incase case for my MacBook Pro, they just came out like month ago and I currently have an Incase sleeve so when my MBP is in my backpack, it doesnt get scratched.

I figure the case prevents dents as best as possible, and the sleeve prevents scratches when in my bag.

Along with cleaning my screen regularly, I also use the sheet that first came with the MBP when you first opened it up (the one between the keyboard & screen when the lid is closed). I've herd that skin oils get on the keyboard when in use, and when the lid is shut, can get on the screen

:apple: DJ Asian Sensation

4. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I've heard those rubber keyboard covers can be a godsend. Not only does it protect against unexpected small spills but it keeps dead skin & dust from bunking up the keys & getting inside the electronics.

5. xxMacAttackxx macrumors member

xxMacAttackxx

I would use one, but they annoy me to the point where I can't.. :(

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

15" Rev 3 2.5Ghz MBP + Frosted White InCase + Marware Protection Pack Deluxe + iSkin Silicon Keyboard Cover (+emergency dish washing liquid to clean it) + iKlear Polish +Statefarm personal articles insurance + drive genious and disk warrior once a week + Pelican Case for Rain (I Live in seattle) or Aluminum briefcase with :apple: logo on both sides when I need to show off the goods.

so yeah

Indeed it does (see iSkin)

7. orangeillini14 thread starter macrumors regular

Someone here... persuade me to get a hardcase shell, I don't see what can be so good about them. I understand that they reduce scratches... but other than that, I don't know. Don't they make the MBP bulkier and... uglier? :(

8. Herrow macrumors regular

The shell can take away from the sleek asthetics of the MBP.

Highly recommend a screen protector such as the Shaggymac or Radtech.

A good quality case and good practices...like washing your hands frequently. I usually upgrade every 3 years and I get top dollar on selling the used machines.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

If its not your cup of tea the benefits of having a thick skin take some of the grunt of daily wear and tear by reducing the amount of friction applied to the bare aluminum, and the overall utility of dissipating would-be permanent dents and possible damage that will get you denied for an :apple:Care claim should a component break down won't be worth it.

lol, I just don't see how you can ask for advice on how to 'protect' your hardware and keep it 'fresh' ....this should be somewhere on your list!!111!1!

10. Fabiano macrumors regular

I just stopped being so worried about it, right after I got my first scratch on the case. I realized that I was to concerned and was not having fun with my mac. Also I dont have money or patience to waste with this kind of stuff (invisible shield, keyboard cover etc.). And I like to have direct contact with my Macbook Pro, know what I mean? :D

11. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I admit that I take care of my MBP rather poorly. My screen would probably be considered poor by most standards and I have a lot of scratches on the outside

I use my MBP a LOT, LOT, LOT and travel a LOT, LOT, LOT so it gets harrassed a good bit on a daily basis

I use a leather suitcase which has a spot for my laptop and that does a good job keeping it comfy if I threw it down and whatnot

12. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I'm still in the "take care of new equipment" stage, so I have an Incase Hardshell(wouldn't use it with out one), Moshi Palmguard, and a keyboard cover(this i bought in Hong Kong, and I actually prefer typing with this then without, the company is called Capcase).

All this is just for a peace of mind, since I don't want to scratch or dent my laptop yet, and I tend to eat and drink around my laptop.

Give it a year or two and maybe I'll start neglecting it.

Also, I'm starting to take good care of my electronics just in case I want to sell it again. Before, I treat my ipods, md players etc like trash. :D

13. FLAVAH macrumors member

I always cleaned my 12" PB and macbook about every week or two, but I only usually used a sleeve when i was taking it out of the house/traveling with it. I got a steal on this MBP, but unfortunately one of the reasons was some wear and tear on the shell, so I just try and keep it clean the best i can. Ive never gotten a protective shell or anything, I dont know why Im just not a fan of them. I love the sleek look of the macs as they come. I just try my best to keep them in the best condition possible.

14. AGIPSY macrumors regular

what color incase hardshell do you have?

15. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

All I use is a Moshi palmguard. Once a week I will wipe it down with a Mr. Clean Eraser and use iKlear on the screen.

16. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

I would consider my MBP to be a "road warrior". It's a pro laptop made of aluminum and its meant to take somewhat of a beating. I certainly don't chuck it but i'm not overly careful about it. The only thing I do to take care of it really is clean the screen occasionally. The casing has its fair share of scratches and marks but no dents so far.

17. buyusfear macrumors 6502

Black incase hardshell and Marware gaurd.
    And then I use Monster screen cleaner for , you guessed it, the screen.
    That, and TLC, I paid a lot for it, so I treat it as such. I don't expect it to be bomb proof, when it is in use, or being handled, it is priority. By that I mean, the phone rings, or whatever, jumping up and throwing the MBP aside isn't an option.

It urkes me when I see people man handling their notebooks, whatever they may be, passing them back and forth, over their sholders, gripping them by just one corner.
    And then they wonder why they fail?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. pinktank macrumors 6502

I used mine for a year extensively and all I used was a speck hardcase and it was thrown in my bookbag, there was no damage whatsoever. I guess they can take a beating