How do you tell if a dvd is finished being written?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by derekoppen, Apr 29, 2009.

1. derekoppen macrumors newbie

I am writing to dvds using Finder, but I can't tell when the dvd is finished writing. There doesn't seem to be time bar, the dvd is not ejected when it's finished. Any help?

2. MacOCD macrumors regular

3. derekoppen thread starter macrumors newbie

No

I am following my Mac's instructions....

To burn a CD or DVD:

Insert a blank disc into the optical drive.

If you see a dialog, you can choose an action from the pop-up menu and select “Make this action the default” if you want the same thing to happen every time you insert a blank disc.

The disc appears on your desktop.

Double-click the disc to open it, and drag the files and folders you want on it to its window.

The Finder places aliases to the files in the disc’s window. The original files are not moved or deleted.

Arrange and rename the files.

When burning the disc, the Finder gives the items on the disc the same names and locations as the aliases in the disc window. After the disc is burned, you cannot change them.

Choose File > Burn Disc, and follow the instructions.

The files that the aliases point to are burned to the disc. In addition, if any folder you copied contains aliases, the original files for those aliases are burned to the disc as well.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It's been a very long time since I've burned a CD/DVD, but I was pretty sure it ejected once done. If it's not ejecting, is the DVD mounted in Finder?

5. derekoppen thread starter macrumors newbie

ejecting

it doesnt eject, but it looks like the instructions are wrong and I should be using a burn folder. Sadly Mac's Help appears to be years out of date - this is not the first time I have been tripped up. Luckily the OS and customer service makes up for this. But it does mean that I spend way too much time on the phone with Apple support.