How do you transfer a program from one mac to another? help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jebaloo, May 18, 2007.

1. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

Hi,

I've got Illustrator and Photoshop, one of which I've lost the cd for, and the other which I can't be bothered to look for (I think it's in my attic - rammed full of stuff).

I want to transfer both prorams to a new laptop eventually, but until then I've just received CS3, and so want to install that now on my MacBook and so need to remove Illustrator and Photoshop onto a harddrive temporarily until my old PowerBook is back from the repair workshop next week.

I understand that I can more or less just drag the program files over, but I don't want to leave any preference files behind, so if anyone knows exactly what I need to take with me so that I don't need to reistall from the cd's, or go looking for the serial number, then I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

If you don't have the serial number, you may be in trouble. However I think if you registered with Adobe you might be able to get it from them. Maybe try calling or emailing their tech support people.

The preference files aren't a big deal-- you can always readjust your prefs later, but the serial number's going to be essential.

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I too think the serial number is needed. :(

FJ

4. Jebaloo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice. I'm guessing that i'll spend half a day in my attic then looking for the case - it'll teach me to be more tidy maybe!