How do you type return or tab?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ArtOfWarfare, Jun 19, 2008.

1. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Don't assume, it makes an ass out of u says me.

Geez, how am I supposed to type a return or a tab in some spots?

Consider the text box I'm typing in right now in Safari. Hitting the tab button will skip to the next field. But I don't want to do that. I want to indent the line.

Or how about in Numbers (and Excel will do the same thing.) How is one supposed to make a cell have 2 lines of text? Hitting return skips to the next cell below.

It's not like the text fields don't support multiple lines or tabs. I can open text edit, type a tab, and then copy and paste it over here.

See?

But I don't want to do that! I want to be able to just type a tab or type a return just like if I was using a word processing program!

Is there some way to type a tab or return in Safari or Numbers? My workaround of copy and pasting from a word processing program is... well, I'd rather for something other than a workaround.

Maybe some key combination... like holding command and tab to force it to write a tab... that would be nice...

Oh, except it already does something. It has that silly application switcher thing come up.

Maybe control tab? That key combination doesn't seem to do anything ATM.

2. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I think the problem with forums such as this is they need to use html, or similar. In my windows I have two buttons next to the bullet points and I think they set a tab.

Like this!​

3. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I didn't realize this until just now...

but my example, while the tab shows up correctly when I'm editing the post, it doesn't show up correctly after submitting it.

But yours does... how'd you get it to work?

Edit: Oh, you used an indent tab. Well that's like cheating. You can't use indent tags in Excel or Numbers.

4. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I hear what you are saying about Excel and Numbers. I guess it is just one of those strange things that computer users have to live with. Excel and Numbers are great but sometimes to do a very simple task (such as the one you mentioned) you have to jump through so many hoops you may as well be a performing seal as a zoo!

5. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I don't like that answer.

I want a second opinion.

Surely someone already realized this long ago and came up with a method for having multiple lines in Numbers/Excel and just haven't thoroughly documented it...