Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evanlange16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
I just got the iPhone 4s for at&t, so it has all the new updates including the base band and firmware. How can I unlock it so I can use a different Sim card? I am going overseas soon and do not want to have to pay the overseas charges.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
If you bought it from AT&T, you cannot unlock it.

If you bought it at full retail price from an Apple Store, only then will it be unlocked.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
the only options right now is buying a factory unlocked or asking your carrier if you are with at&T don't bother Sprint and Verizon will unlock the GSM network for overseas travel if there terms are met but you will still be prevented from at&t. CDMA networks can not be unlocked.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
It cost me $649 to unlock my Iphone 4S, 16gb. The good thing is I do not need to worry about it locks up to any carrier when upgrading/restoring. :D

anthdci

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
you cant unlock it at the moment. If it is like the iPhone4 once it is out of its "lunch period" then the networks will do it for free if your on a contract or for about £15 if your on PAYG. But none of the UK networks are doing this at the moment.

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
you cant unlock it at the moment. If it is like the iPhone4 once it is out of its "lunch period" then the networks will do it for free if your on a contract or for about £15 if your on PAYG. But none of the UK networks are doing this at the moment.

Well thats not strictly true Vodafone have unlocked both my 64gbs and and both 32gbs as well. Took 48hrs but they are unlocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.