Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stamas88

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
Wanting to unlock my 6plus since I got the 6s plus but forgot how to

Can anyone refresh me? Thanks!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You can usually contact the carrier that the phone is associated with and ask them to get it unlocked.

Stamas88

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
Eh I hear it's 30 day wait, I'm selling via gazelle and don't have time for that

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
Eh I hear it's 30 day wait, I'm selling via gazelle and don't have time for that

they have to honor or deny your unlock request in 48 hours

sometimes they say it will take 48 hours to process but they will email you back in 5 hours
with the unlock notice

there is a 30 day wait but let me explain that. the 30 day wait would only apply to your 6s+

go ahead and unlock it. and tell gazelle its a AT&T , verizon or unlocked phone depending on what they pay the most for.. verizon has said any unlocked phone is now a verizon compatible phone and its wrong of gazelle to lower your price because they don't think your phone is a verizon model ( this applies to iPhone 6 and 6+)

anyway here is how the 30 day thing works

when you buy a NEW IPHONE 6S from AT&T at FULL PRICE you need to either :

be a customer for 30 days before you asked for the unlock

or

that phone has to be connected for 30 days after you became a customer

t-mobile's requirement is the same more or less

you need to either google your cell phone company to get their unlock page, or flat out tell us what phone carrier you have, so we can tell you how two get an unlock. then wait 48 hours. as long as you phone is paid off , your phone will be unlocked in 2 days

gazelle has been lowering peoples trade in values by $125 simply by people with sprint and t-mobile phones who don't unlock them first and i am really peeved about it

Last edited:
Reactions: Stamas88

Stamas88

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
they have to honor or deny your unlock request in 48 hours

sometimes they say it will take 48 hours to process but they will email you back in 5 hours
with the unlock notice

there is a 30 day wait but let me explain that. the 30 day wait would only apply to your 6s+

go ahead and unlock it. and tell gazelle its a AT&T , verizon or unlocked phone depending on what they pay the most for.. verizon has said any unlocked phone is now a verizon compatible phone and its wrong of gazelle to lower your price because they don't think your phone is a verizon model ( this applies to iPhone 6 and 6+)

anyway here is how the 30 day thing works

when you buy a NEW IPHONE 6S from AT&T at FULL PRICE you need to either :

be a customer for 30 days before you asked for the unlock

or

that phone has to be connected for 30 days after you became a customer

t-mobile's requirement is the same more or less

I'm att and I'm under my company's plan so if there's any account info I have to give I won't be able to

The boss sent a email we have to wait 30 days to unlock our phones but I think he's full of it and doesn't want to do the extra work

As far as my 6$+ I paid the $400 for the 64gb plus they charge us a $250 fee each phone if you upgrade it every year, they used to not charge us because we have so many lines and upgraded every year on almost all phones, I miss doing that and selling my phone on gazelle and my grand total would sometimes be less then a phone case

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
I'm att and I'm under my company's plan so if there's any account info I have to give I won't be able to

The boss sent a email we have to wait 30 days to unlock our phones but I think he's full of it and doesn't want to do the extra work

As far as my 6$+ I paid the $400 for the 64gb plus they charge us a $250 fee each phone if you upgrade it every year, they used to not charge us because we have so many lines and upgraded every year on almost all phones, I miss doing that and selling my phone on gazelle and my grand total would sometimes be less then a phone case

AT&T now unlocks phones for non customers.

go to https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/
click on i agree
click on continue
click on non AT&T mobility customer

give them your imei, name and email , and good luck

they will send you a email to verify you asked for the unlock . verify the unlock

and wait 2 days

I'm sure you could probably have a friend or family members account you can use to submit the unlock. if you need that.. maybe let them put their AT&T sim card in the phone and the twill be enough for them to ask AT&T to unlock it

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
my brother mike. he passed away. i bought him an iPhone off of eBay that was locked to AT&T. he had a go phone account , and he already had go phone service for 6 months, so as soon as we put that used AT&T iPhone from eBay on his go phone account, they approved the unlock in 2 days

you may not need your employers account to unlock it

Stamas88

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
AT&T now unlocks phones for non customers.

go to https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/
click on i agree
click on continue
click on non AT&T mobility customer

give them your imei, name and email , and good luck

they will send you a email to verify you asked for the unlock . verify the unlock

and wait 2 days

I'm sure you could probably have a friend or family members account you can use to submit the unlock. if you need that.. maybe let them put their AT&T sim card in the phone and the twill be enough for them to ask AT&T to unlock it

It's confusing me, says

Thank you for contacting AT&T about unlocking your mobile device.

Congratulations! Here are your unlock instructions:

For iOS 7 or later devices, please turn off Find My iPhone before unlocking your device.

Once you have received the email confirming AT&T has approved and processed your unlock request, follow these instructions to complete the unlock for your device.

Not sure if that means I'm already unlocked

Anyway basically I back it up then erase it then restore it? Do you know if I can do this using the existing SIM card that's in the phone? The sim being my (att) SIM card that was just deactivated when I got my 6s+

Thanks for all your help btw and sorry to hear about your brother

Edit - see below

Device Unlock Status - Completed
Check Status of Another Device
Congratulations! Here are your unlock instructions:

Once you have received the email confirming AT&T has approved and processed your unlock request, follow these instructions to complete the unlock for your device.

Using a Non-AT&T SIM Card:

1. Email me this info

IMEI Number
Request Date / Time
10-03-2015 01:45:07 AM
Request Number
Current Status
Completed

Last edited:

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
okay so to compete your unlock you have to do one of two things.

one is to insert any sim card that is not an AT&T one. i like to turn it off and insert a new sim after its booted up

it might ask you to complete setup

this sim card DOES NOT NEED A PLAN, it can be a dead sim you don't use anymore. it just has to be another companies sim card like t-mobile or verizon. if the sim card is not activated, then make sure you have wifi

if you do not have a aim card handy then you have to use iTunes to unlock it

connect iPhones to iTunes
click on backup.
unplug iPhone
erase all content and settings on iPhone
connect iPhone to iTunes
restore from backup

you will see a congratulations your iPhone is unlocked message

now u just have to convince companies like gazelle your phone should be worth the most trade in, because it is an unlocked iPhone that is capable of being activated on AT&T and verizon

Stamas88

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
I didn't do all that stuff in iTunes and got a congrats your phone has been unlocked before it disappeared so now I'm unclear with it, it's also showing my number on it which it didn't do before lol

Should I be getting a email verifing it's been unlocked?

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
I didn't do all that stuff in iTunes and got a congrats your phone has been unlocked before it disappeared so now I'm unclear with it, it's also showing my number on it which it didn't do before lol

Should I be getting a email verifing it's been unlocked?

i think its unlocked. go ahead and try to use a different sim

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
i am really peeved about gazelle. they and other companies like "is it worth more" think theres some difference between unlocked iPhone 6 and 6+ phones and verzon and AT&T phones, and now that your phone is unlocked , they owe you the most trade in. insist its verizon iPhone and make them pay you top dollar.

Stamas88

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
Yes sir it's unlocked, thank you so much I reset it again and put it into iTunes and it shows the message

I really want to send it to gazelle as flawless but I have a few of those normal wear and tear hairline scratches that you can only see with the screen off if your looking

I wanted to try to see if the tooth paste thing actually works but I think they would be too small for it anyway

Stamas88

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
i am really peeved about gazelle. they and other companies like "is it worth more" think theres some difference between unlocked iPhone 6 and 6+ phones and verzon and AT&T phones, and now that your phone is unlocked , they owe you the most trade in. insist its verizon iPhone and make them pay you top dollar.

I do have a question now that it's unlocked

My friends wanted to buy it but I told him the 30 day ****

He has boost mobile (I thinks it's sprints prepaid), can he use his sim in it or is it going to be a whole GSM cdma issue or is it a universal phone

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
I do have a question now that it's unlocked

My friends wanted to buy it but I told him the 30 day ****

He has boost mobile (I thinks it's sprints prepaid), can he use his sim in it or is it going to be a whole GSM cdma issue or is it a universal phone

there was two phones back then. they both had GSM and CDMA. but sprint will probably reject it and boost mobile might have an issue with it and reject it as well

the phones are pretty much universal, but sprint are dicks.

the AT&T iPhone 6 was CDMA and GSM, it works for AT&T, t-mobile and most recently Verizon. , Sprint rejects this phone.
if you put a sprint sim in this phone, it will only work as a cellular ipad and you will not be able to make voice calls on it. despite the fact that its cdma radio is turned on and fully functional.

the other one was Gsm And CDMA, it works for AT&T , T-mobile, Verizon, and Sprint. Sprint likes this phone because it has the extra 4 Spark channels. the 4 spark channels are the only reason that sprint likes this one and not yours. this model is referred to as the "sim free" or "sprint model"

initially verizon would not activate the AT&T cdma+gsm model but you could still use a sim card from another device. that has changed and verizon now activates any iPhone 6 as long as its unlocked. what has not changed is sprint outright refuses to work on any iPhone 6 that is not theirs.

when in doubt try the boost meid checker
https://apps.boostmobile.com/boostApp/handsetIdentifier.do

as far as gazelle goes. about flawless , you will have to ask them .

Stamas88

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
there was two phones back then. they both had GSM and CDMA. but sprint will probably reject it and boost mobile might have an issue with it and reject it as well

the phones are pretty much universal, but sprint are dicks.

the AT&T iPhone 6 was CDMA and GSM, it works for AT&T, t-mobile and most recently Verizon. , Sprint rejects this phone.
if you put a sprint sim in this phone, it will only work as a cellular ipad and you will not be able to make voice calls on it. despite the fact that its cdma radio is turned on and fully functional.

the other one was Gsm And CDMA, it works for AT&T , T-mobile, Verizon, and Sprint. Sprint likes this phone because it has the extra 4 Spark channels. the 4 spark channels are the only reason that sprint likes this one and not yours. this model is referred to as the "sim free" or "sprint model"

initially verizon would not activate the AT&T cdma+gsm model but you could still use a sim card from another device. that has changed and verizon now activates any iPhone 6 as long as its unlocked. what has not changed is sprint outright refuses to work on any iPhone 6 that is not theirs.

when in doubt try the boost meid checker
https://apps.boostmobile.com/boostApp/handsetIdentifier.do

as far as gazelle goes. about flawless , you will have to ask them .

Yeah sprints preety horrible and a very petty company, I'll try to see if I can convince him to switch elsewhere if he really wants it

You know the most ironic thing out of all this, everything preety much runs on Verizon's network, at least here in nyc it does, they preety much own everything and att and etc runs there stuff on it hard to explain

Thanks for all the help :)

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
more info
====
check the back of the phone. it will have its model # engraved on it.

6+ phone that worked on AT&T , t-mobile , sprint and verizon is model #s
iPhone 6 a1586 or a1524 for iPhone 6+

the AT&T model that works on AT&T , t-mobile and recently Verizon is model #s
a1549 for 6 and a1522 for 6+

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
okay checked gazelle

i told them i had a flawless iPhone 6+ 128 gig
AT&T 345 , verizon 360, unlocked 360

if you tell them its an AT&T and not an unlocked one, they took away $15

those prices are worse then apple. right now apples trade in is $375

next worth is 320 for AT&T and 360 for verizon despite the fact your unlocked AT&T iphojne is a verizon one minus sprint support

have you tried its worth more??

get a lot of this
unlocked $436
AT&T $411

maybe its worth more will pay more then gazelle

walmart says
t-mobile 226
verizon 355

my t-mobile phone is a verizon one, so do i get 355 or do i get 226 or do i get 340 because its unlocked

Stamas88

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
okay checked gazelle

next worth is 320 for AT&T and 360 for verizon despite the fact your unlocked AT&T iphojne is a verizon one minus sprint support

get a lot of this
unlocked $436
AT&T $411

walmart says
t-mobile 226
verizon 355

my t-mobile phone is a verizon one, so do i get 355 or do i get 226 or do i get 340 because its unlocked

Yeah but is it in cash? I quoted at (so long as I ship by say weds) 385 for decent condition and 429 for flawless

So we get the phone through our job for the discount etc and we would just send the boss the money we receive to soften up the payments as he takes it out in 4 shots which trust me was brutal last year when I didn't send him what I sold for, this is the second year we done it that att charged us the $250 subsidy fee, prior to this you would buy your phone which wasn't $400 at the time (no plus) and you would sell to gazelle for like $350 - $400ish

Basically I would spend more on the case for the phone then I would on the phone but those days are over

Now I'm the kid who's had every Nextel and sidekick android and iPhone (after 4s I used to be big on android) it's worth it in my eyes to have a new phone because let's be honest I wouldn't control my self anyway

I'm just upset at the moment that the few normal hairline scratches takes me out of "flawless"

I even tried the toothpaste thing but they seem to small and thin for it to work

Edit - hey with Apple that trade in value is towards what? Any Apple product?

Stamas88

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
more info
====
check the back of the phone. it will have its model # engraved on it.

6+ phone that worked on AT&T , t-mobile , sprint and verizon is model #s
iPhone 6 a1586 or a1524 for iPhone 6+

the AT&T model that works on AT&T , t-mobile and recently Verizon is model #s
a1549 for 6 and a1522 for 6+

Am I supposed to get a email from att officially saying I'm unlocked because I have not even though I unlocked the phone, I hope I didn't unlock it without their permission because it certainly didn't take 2 days

Stamas88

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
okay checked gazelle

get a lot of this
unlocked $436
AT&T $411

walmart says
t-mobile 226
verizon 355

As far as the apple one is it cash or like credit towards a new product? Can it be used towards a iPad or laptop? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.