Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
These AirPods Max don't seem to be upgrading to the new firmware update for some strange reason. What do I need to do to make them update?

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
There’s nothing you can really do to force the update. Keep your iPhone near your AirPods Max, maybe put them on charge. It sucks but the only way to make these headphones to upgrade is time. It will come.

dozeball

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2020
There is a method advised by Apple that seems to work more often than not...

1) connect airpods max to iphone
2) play music for 30 secs - 1 min
3) put airpods max into smart case
4) connect airpods max to power via lightning cable
5) place airpods max within immediate connection range of iPhone
6) wait approximately 30 mins - can sometimes be longer
7) take airpods max out of smart case and let them connect back to the iphone
8) check firmware in bluetooth settings of the airpods max to ensure update was successful, otherwise repeat steps from 1.

Reactions: iGeneo

NARadyk

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2021
UK
These AirPods Max don't seem to be upgrading to the new firmware update for some strange reason. What do I need to do to make them update?

Frustratingly experiencing the same thing. No success.

SRQrws

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2020
This seems to work for me every time and it did last night.
1) Remove APMs from their case
2) Connect via Lightning to a charger
3) Open the APMs (ie don't leave them flat, rotate the ear cups perpendicular to the headband)
4) Connect the APMs to an iPhone or iPad via Bluetooth (Settings --> Bluetooth --> tap your APMs to connect)
5) Wait about 10 minutes

Again, this may not work for everyone, but it has for me. Hope it helps!

NARadyk

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2021
UK
3) Open the APMs (ie don't leave them flat, rotate the ear cups perpendicular to the headband)
4) Connect the APMs to an iPhone or iPad via Bluetooth (Settings --> Bluetooth --> tap your APMs to connect)
5) Wait about 10 minutes

I shall give this a go and update upon completion.

EDIT: Still no success.

Last edited:

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
5) Wait about 10 minutes

I’ve tried that several times over the last couple of days but it hasn’t worked for me

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
I just got mine to update almost immediately. I played a couple of minutes of music from my phone, went to the bluetooth panel for the APMs, set the phone and APMs on the desk next to each other and came back a few minutes later. Boom. Refreshed the bluetooth control panel. Updated. If they are on and connected but idle and not connected to your head, they'll update.

Does anyone know what this does yet?

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Yeah mine have updated now so either it’s a staggered roll out across the world wide servers or it’s a fact that I did a hard reset on mine an hour ago

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I just got mine yesterday and of course they came with previous firmware. Played with them for about an hour and still had the same firmware. Set them down while I did some other work and about an hour later when I checked that had updated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.