How do you update weight in Activity App?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by samphoenix, May 2, 2015.

1. samphoenix macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I've been using my Apple watch for the past week or so and I just realised that I put in the wrong weight in the Activity app when I first booted it up. It's off by a fairly significant number (5kg) and I've looked online through the different support pages but I can't seem to find a way to change the initial weight that was put in. You'd think it would be a fairly straight forward process since at some point you are probably meant to update this information as you get 'healthier'. I'm considering maybe changing it in the health app might impact the weight in the activities app as well but I haven't put it to the test yet. Any suggestions?

2. sigomez macrumors regular

Not 100% sure but have you tried showing the health app on the iPhone?

3. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Open the Apple Watch app on the iPhone. Click on health.

4. samphoenix thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for that! I keep getting lost in the different settings and options found in the Apple Watch app. I knew that it was something obvious like that! :D

5. chhhrrriiisss macrumors 6502a

MyFitnessPal automatically updates my Health app if I change my weight.

6. chrise2 macrumors 6502

No problem, for whatever reason, I couldn't find it for a half hour the first time.

7. Cuyler macrumors 6502

I recently purchased a Withings wireless scale — it works great with HealthKit and the watch. I just step on the scales and the phone and watch app automatically update.

8. Sphyrna macrumors regular

How do you like the Withings? I have the Fitbit Aria wireless scale. At first I was disappointed that Fitbit isn't supporting Healthkit and figured I'd have to manually update my weight in the Health app. Fortunately, I have my Fitbit account linked with MyFitnessPal, which does talk to Healthkit. Now my weight gets updated in the Health app via MyFitnessPal.

9. Cuyler macrumors 6502

That's good to know. I need to look into MyFitnessPal. I have a FitBit Zip tracker and I was disappointed they didn't support HealthKit. However, now I have the Apple Watch, so I don't really need it anymore.

I chose the Withings WS-30 over the Aria because it supports HealthKit and it seems to have better reviews. It's also a little cheaper than the Aria — I used a 20%-off coupon at Bed, Bath and Beyond, so it was just $80. The $150 Withings Body Analyzer WS-60 calcs fat mass in addition to the BMI, but I don't think that's worth the extra cost (plus I think you have to wait longer while gathers all that info).

The scale was easy to set up and it's quick and easy to use. Just step on and wait a few seconds and your current weight is updated on all your devices. I'm quite happy with it (although I'm sure the Aria scale is an excellent alternative).

10. Sphyrna macrumors regular

I have the Fitbit One. I did consider the Withings but decided to stick with the Fitbit ecosystem. This was before HealthKit existed, so liked the idea of keeping things in the same family. Now, not so much. My Aria does work well but I've noticed it will do 2 different things when calculating the weight. Sometimes I get on and it will just show the numbers change until it settles on a number. Other times I turn it on and it will say "step on", then once I'm on it will display "sensing" then "step off" then "thinking". After all of this it will show the result. This result is usually a few pounds lower than the first method it uses. I just make sure I always used one method and discard any results from the other method.

11. Cuyler, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015

Cuyler macrumors 6502

I don't know how accurate the Withings is — if I take several readings in a row, they're at least within a pound of each other. I also have it on a carpet, which probably causes some inaccuracy — however, it's fine for my purposes (I just want to see which direction my weight is trending).

Weighing with the Withings is easy — just step on and the numbers fly by and in a few seconds it settles down. If you stand a little off-center, the corners light up to indicate which way you're leaning. When it's done measuring, it flashes its final decision, calculates your BMI and then gives you a weather report — totally unnecessary, but kinda cute. If there's more than one person in your family it automatically determines the individual and send the data to the proper account.

I too had been looking at the Aria for years figuring that I wanted to remain in the FitBit ecosystem. However, not only does the Withings work with HealthKit, it also can send its weights to a FitBit account. I don't think there's a way to get the FitBit's step count into the Withings account, but I guess you can consolidate everything with the MyFitnessPal app.

The Withings app is similar to the FitBit app (and Apple Activity app) in that it gives you achievements and badges for your performance. Withings just told me I had walked enough to get around the island of Oahu. FitBit told me I've gone the length of the Great Wall of China — that's why I still carry the FitBit — I'm curious what goal I'll hit next.

12. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

Nice, I have a Fitbit Aria scale and use the Sync Solver app that updates my weight in the iOS health app. I guess that means that it will passively be updated on my watch as well!

Tuck