How do you upload music files to MobileMe from the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jamesryanbell, Jun 8, 2010.

1. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I want to upload MP3 files that I've got on the iPad straight to MobileMe. When I use Atomic Browser to view MobileMe, it won't let me click the upload button (I'm pretty sure that's bc it uses Flash...yes, Flash...lol). Safari won't even let you see the page, as I'm sure everyone already knows.

In the MobileMe app, I don't see an "upload" function.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

2. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I've looked at FTP On The Go from the App Store, but I don't know if it supports WebDAV. :/

3. thankins macrumors 6502

4. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Wow, that's really limiting. :(

Hope they fix that soon.

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to upload music to MobileMe.

5. bowzer macrumors 6502

bowzer

Check out Goodreader

I havent tried connecting to mobileme, but I do see it, and webdav as an option to connect to. It also has ftp support...

Another one to check out is Dropbox ...keeps files on multiple computers/mobile devices in sync

6. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I have GoodReader, and I didn't even know it did that. Let me try it, and I'll post back in a few minutes.

7. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

It does connect to MobileMe, but it appears that it's only to download files. There's no "upload" option anywhere that I can see. Quite honestly, I didn't even figure out how to reference (upload/view/etc) any music that's already on the device.

Am I missing something?

8. bowzer macrumors 6502

bowzer

I dont think you can get access to your synced iTunes music.... I know you can import photos, though. I've never tried music. I'm pretty sure good reader only has whatever you've downloaded within the app.

To upload a file, Goto manage files, click on the files you want, click copy. Now connect to the server, browse to where you want to upload, and click paste. That should be it!

9. bowzer macrumors 6502

bowzer

I'm pretty sure goodreader doesn't have access to your synced music because of piracy concerns. One work around is to put the music on an FTP, or use dropbox so you can then connect, download them in good reader, and then upload to mobile me.... Not the best solution but it would work.

10. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Thanks for the ideas bro! I'll let you know how that works out.

11. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I just can't see the music...that's the only problem.

12. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

Do you really think it's going to be allowed when the record companies won't even allow music streaming?

13. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I just figured if they let you upload from the computer, they'd let you upload it from the iPad.

If they *really* didn't want you uploading music to mobileme, it looks like they'd ban the file type.

They didn't do that.

Hence, I thought it was a reasonable idea. :)

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Why, exactly, do you want to upload your music to MobileMe? It's possible there may be other methods available to achieve your goals, but MobileMe might not be the best tool to do it.

15. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I keep a repository on it in the "public" folder to allow people to listen to music before we perform it.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Ah, I see. Well, you can't do that from the iPad. Apple doesn't support copying music off an iDevice to a computer, so it makes sense they wouldn't provide a way to upload music from iPad to web. There might be a way to do it if you jailbreak. If you are interested, ask in the iPhone Hacks forum whether there's a way to upload music to the web from an iDevice, that way you'll increase your chances of getting an answer, since that forum has the most traffic.

17. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Well, I suspect you can, but you'd have to drop the mp3s into GoodReader via iTunes first, or email them to yourself from your computer.