How do you use a GPS app 'offline?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Atomant669, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Atomant669 macrumors regular

Yes I really don't get it. Sygic and tomtom both have GPS apps to be installed into the iPhone and claimed to be able to use it offline. So I downloaded a copy of sygic into my iPhone but it went dead as I turned the airplane mode on!?

Am I able to use this gps app just like how I am using a garmin montana 650 handheld gps?

Someone please make me click. This is driving me nuts as I am planning to travel from Singapore to Thailand soon.

2. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Airplane mode disables the GPS chip. You can either use a MFI gps receiver (Bad Elf or XGPS150, among others) in airplane mode, or turn off the airplane mode but instead disable the data portion (turn cellular data off under general/cellular/cellular data slider.)

3. Atomant669 thread starter macrumors regular

Someone pls help me it seems like I am the only one with this problem?

4. Bear macrumors G3

Airplane mode turns off all radio type devices (WiFi, Cellular, Bluetooth, GPS) which is why you're having the issue. Do you need it in airplane mode or were you just trying to test it?

5. Atomant669 thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone here travels with a Sygic gps app? It says "With over 20,000,000 downloads worldwide. Sygic is the most poplar offline GPS navigation app."

Yes I know but how do I get it to work offline?

Seems like I am really the only one here. :(

6. peridot macrumors member

As previous posters have explained, airplane mode turns everything off - including GPS. Instead, just turn off cellular data. You'll be offline and GPS should still work.

7. aniruth macrumors newbie

How do you use a GPS app 'offline

Looks like a good deal. I might have to get that myself in case I'm in an area without WiFi or cellular connection.

8. Atomant669 thread starter macrumors regular

ok I got it. And I've also just returned a Garmin Montana 650 apparently the maps that comes installed in it is not even close to what they have in Sygic!