How do you use an auto generated password in an app?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ipedro, Dec 12, 2014.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

I've started using auto generated passwords in Safari. It works well as long as I stay within Safari but many sites also have apps. How do I get that complex long password into an app's password field?

For example, I changed my Google password in Safari on my Mac. It generated a strong password. When I sign in to Google in Safari on my iPhone, it appears and I'm logged in correctly. However, Mail is asking me for my Gmail password but doesn't remember the password.

My first thought was to go to Keychain but I have such a long list of log in credentials, and I can't seem to find the one I need. There has to be a more practical way. Am I missing something?

2. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

I'd dig it out of Settings > Safari > Passwords & Autofill > Saved Passwords. I've had to dig several passwords out of there.

3. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

That's a pretty terrible workflow. I guess it's an area where Apple can improve in iOS9. There should be a tighter integration between Safari login fields and those inside of Apps.

4. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

I agree. The password for this website was an auto-generated one. It took a while for the password to move to my other devices and I had to look it up on my phone.

5. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Well, not so easy. Big example: two-factor authentication. iOS Mail app needs a completely different password than the one that is used in the web browser.

In general, most mail service providers have relatively standard name schemes around SMTP, IMAP, POP3 server names, but how can the OS REALLY know that the password for site123.com is also the passcode used for the mail service?

Plus keychain on Mac has lots of other things in there that one probably does not want coming over to iOS. How does the OS/iCloud decide what is important and not? And don't forget iOS sandboxing comes into play as well and how to deal with it securely.

Yeah, it's not perfect, but think it's a decent compromise. And if want to have more comprehensive password management, there are better 3rd party solutions. Been happy with the one I use.

6. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

Those are all good points. You know what would resolve this? A log in system like Facebook that has successfully seen widespread adoption by most known websites. If anybody can do it just as successfully, Apple can.

They can tie a token to Touch ID. When you sign up for a site or want to change your password, just tap/click the Apple ID button and you're set. To log in, use Touch ID or your Apple ID password.

I just signed up for Two Factor Authentication. The next step is allowing iOS and OS X to manage all my other passwords. I've got too much clutter in my head remembering which is which so I used to just use the same few passwords with varying degrees of complexity for all the sites I was signed up with. Not ideal security in the least.

Hopefully, by iOS9, we won't need to remember any passwords at all. Just make sure we still have fingers. I'm sure Apple will come out with a touchpad and mouse with a Touch ID sensor soon. It's the next logical step I think.

7. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

iOS 8 does allow for developers to integrate icloud keychain into apps (which should allow you to automatically log into apps. Nobody has actually do so, to my knowledge. :confused:

What I am doing is also keeping a copy of my passwords in 1password; I then use a launch-centre Pro shortcut to quickly retrieve my password and paste it in. Very hacky, I know. :(

8. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Personally I use 1Password rather than Keychain. I login to the 1Password app with my master password, copy the password I need, and paste it into the field for the app or website I need. It's not totally smooth, but it works.

9. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

For websites you can use the share sheet to access 1password.

10. crashoverride77, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014

crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

It's mainly the developers. Since iOS 8 they can integrate keychain with their apps. Amazon for example has done it already and so have other apps like 1password. It works in conjunction with Touch ID so not sure if it can only be done for those devices.

11. afsnyder macrumors 65816

That's the app devs fault for not including iCloud Keychain support.

12. ipedro, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014

ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

Thank you. I suspected as much. This is how it should be done. Apple should start cracking down on bad developers. Ban custom password solutions so that keychain is used consistently across Safari and apps.

Besides Amazon, which other sites/apps use iCloud Keychain? I'll start shifting to auto generated passwords on those sites while the other slowpokes catch up.

EDIT: I auto generated a new Amazon password then went to the app. It never suggested to auto-fill the log in or even just the password. Are you sure it's iCloud keychain compliant?

13. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I've been dying for a dedicated iCloud Keychain app for iOS. That's near the top of my list.

I would also like to see keychain access cleaned up on the Mac as well, just an overall nicer user interface.

14. crashoverride77, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014

crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Sorry I explained it wrong, with Amazon the initial sign in must be done manually. However once signed in you can use Touch ID to autofill when you get prompted for the password again, e.g. when buying something. The "Touch ID API" is different than the "iCloud Keychain API". So technically Amazon does not yet support iCloud keychain but it does support Touch ID.
    Apps can defiantly autofill keychain passwords like Safari does, at least according to this Article http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/13/ios-8...ri-autofill-credentials-for-quick-easy-login/
    Most developers seem to focus on Touch ID support first rather than Keychain support or they are just slow in general. Ideally we want both, Keychain and Touch ID.