how do you use "Find My Mac"

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by kidwithdimples, Oct 18, 2011.

1. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

It's enabled but what app do I use to locate it?

2. kuwxman macrumors 6502

kuwxman

3. ajo macrumors 6502

I was just about to start a similar thread, however if its ok I will ask within this one.

I understand that to use find my mac someone has to be logged into the machine. This brings me to question the "guest" account that it sets up for you.

Is there a reason that this works the way that it does. It restarts the machine and only lets you browse the web, there is no dock or anything. I have set up the guest account to act normal, as I would think that those who know about find my mac, will realise when the machine restarts the way that it does.

Have I got something wrong here?

4. kuwxman macrumors 6502

kuwxman

You can hide the guest account, if you wish. I'll have to find exactly where the setting is because I can't remember off the top of my head.

edit: Here we are;

5. ajo macrumors 6502

Cool, thanks for that. If the accounts are passworded then, its best to keep the guest account there so if stolen they can still login right?

I am interested in why it restarts to the guest account, what is the reasoning behind this?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is not a guest account like it appears to be. What this is doing is restarting to the recovery partition and only allowing Safari to run. Not a guest account at all.

You should not disable this feature. If you do and your machine is stolen, the thief will have no way to get on the Internet so the location can be seen by you with FMM. Hopefully the thief will use this Safari only access and it will show you where the machine is.