How do you use Google Voice (and Skype)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rKunda, Jul 21, 2010.

1. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I'm curious to know: How do you use Google Voice (and Skype)?

Note, this is not meant as "How do I use it" as in, how do I get it to function. I mean how are you using Google Voice in combination with the iPhone, and perhaps, do you integrate it with Skype (or something like it)? I've played with it a bit (and the SMS to email instead of my phone function is great), but I just haven't been able to make the plunge into using it full on—not out of a lack of want—but I just don't quite 'get' how to really put this whole process into use.

So what's your usage scenario? ... if that makes sense. Thanks folks.

2. djgulia macrumors 6502

I jut use my Google Voice # as my mobile # for work since I do not have a work issued cell phone. I don't really use any other features of GV. I have the Skype app, but hardly ever use it.

3. parallel91 macrumors newbie

4. james92se macrumors 6502a

How do you do this? Could you explain?

I'm in the exact same boat as the OP. I just don't quite "get" Google Voice.

5. Seattleite macrumors member

Seattleite

I use skype every day as a means to communicate with my husband, who is deployed to the Middle East. If I am away from my computer, I just log into skype on my iPhone and I appear as "online" to all of my skype contacts. They just initiate a call or chat via skype and it rings on the iPhone. It is a free way to communicate (other than his cost to have an internet connection). Otherwise, when I am at my computer, we just call computer to computer via skype (free).

6. rKunda thread starter macrumors 65816

rKunda

You can have GV send SMS messages (that are sent to GV #s) to your email and not as an SMS. You reply to emails to return the texts. Free SMS.

7. Lyshen macrumors 6502

I have google voice set to email me when an SMS comes. Which in turn, that email is pushed via exchange to my iphone. Then I just reply to the email... which sends SMS back to the person.

Free texts :D

8. rKunda thread starter macrumors 65816

rKunda

I have another question. If I use GV to call my wife, am I still using or no longer using my ATT free mobile to mobile minutes?

9. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I use Google Voice for texting (have it forwarding to my TextFree app's email). Sometimes I'll use the web-app to make a call from my GV number (when I want to remain semi-anonymous).

10. rKunda thread starter macrumors 65816

rKunda

When you reply from Text Free what number does it show to the receiver?

11. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

One time you need to initiate a text from google voice (voice.google.com). After that, any consecutive texts to that number from TextFree will appear to come from your GV#.

12. rKunda thread starter macrumors 65816

rKunda

13. dranakin macrumors 6502

Thanks, sounds interesting. From my understanding, Skype (via their blog) announced that it's free to call Skype-to-Skype over 3G on the iPhone now.

14. parallel91 macrumors newbie

What I do is forward all text messages to my Google Voice number to my Gmail account. Then on my iPhone I set up push Gmail using Microsoft Exchange. Voila.

And you can reply from your email and it'll send a text back without ever opening an app (minus Mail).

15. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

16. Acejam2k macrumors regular

The iPhone has no integration with Google Voice. It's all based on a webapp. It's no more capable than a Mac or PC.

An Android phone on the other hand can make and receive 100% free calls using Google Voice, linked to a SIP provider. :D (and works over Wifi & 3G)

17. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

I simply use it for the text transcriptions. I forward my iPhone voice to Google Voice...which then sends text transcriptions (with .wav attachments) to my Gmail account. Then I use the PUSH MAIL app to notify me on my iPhone4.

I tried making Google Voice work for me, but without a dedicated iPhone app, it was too slow and clunky. I use my actual GV # as a throw-away on websites, stores, etc.

18. Phokus macrumors regular

Lol, poor iphone users, steve is such an egomaniac that he won't implement the dedicated google voice app because it's far superior to apple's native dialing app. :D

19. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I use the Google voice webapp, work perfectly and on the 3Gs and ip4 works as fast as the phone.app.
    :cool:

20. Vihzel macrumors 6502

21. xboxphanatic macrumors member

I use google voice mainly for the free texting and then give out my gv number to people that I don't know very well or want to screen their calls. :)

For the texting I followed this guide to set up push notifications with the prowl app. I then have a redirection setup in the app to link to the black swan web app which I find their interface much better than the official google web app.

22. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I use it pretty much solely as a voicemail replacement so that I get my voicemail transcribed and sent as an attachment to my email for free. Can't say I've ever made a call with it, as I use Skype for any calls I don't want to make on my wireless minutes.

23. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

As long as you use the GV web app.

24. rdstoll macrumors 6502

I actually use Google Voice to do all my international calling on the iPhone. Sure, there is no native GV app, but the webapp is pretty useful and it's easy to make my international calls from there. I save at least 50% off of what I'd pay otherwise just making the call on AT&T but have to say that the reliability of calls going through on GV is a bit spotty.

I'd love to just hand out my Google Voice number to people and keep my cell phone number "private" but I'm not going to go through the webapp every single time I want to make a call to someone so that my GV number shows up on their caller ID.

25. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

As I understand it, GV uses your mobile minutes to contact the GV server, which then places the call on your behalf. That seems to me that the call would actually be going to the GV server, rather than directly to your wife, and using your regular minutes. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is how it works, and why I have a hard time seeing the value of this service.