How Do You Use Health.app?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Fluttershy, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Fluttershy macrumors regular

Fluttershy

I don't know whether I am missing some brain cells, but how on earth does one use the Health.app?

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

From what I gather, it is meant to pull data from other apps to give an overall view. However, currently, no apps work with the Health App because of a bug.

You can fill out your medical info & it tracks your steps. But other than that, the Health App is really meant to pull info from your other health-related apps.

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You can use it manually if you really wanted to. I have an iPod Nano, so I could technically go running/walking with it and then later put all the data from it in.

The sleep analysis stuff isn't go bad without an app either. But apps will know the difference of you just sitting in bed vs actually sleeping, and that's where they're a lot better.

But you really are going to want to use it with an app for food/water/whatever. It is not made to input that information combined on the same page. Someone will probably make an app that isn't linked to a service that does that though.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have a 5S and added the "steps" data section to the Health app dashboard to track how much I walk per day. Seems to work well for that so far. Has a nice chart for day/week/month.

5. PittsDriver macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

I did that as well, I wish it would tell me how many calories are burned based on height and weight. Or does it and I am missing something...

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If you want to know how to link, it simple. You click on Source tab and select what Apps you want to link with. Health then automatically imports the info as the App are updated and compiles all info in one place.

Of course it will be 8.01 before we get it.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm not seeing a way to do that either.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I believe Health is a repository of info from other Apps. You have to have another App to feed this (or any) info to Health.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Just to add. Here is what Apple says about Health.

"...Heart rate, calories burned, blood sugar, cholesterol — your health and fitness apps are great at collecting all that data. The new Health app puts that data in one place, accessible with a tap, giving you a clear and current overview of your health. ..."

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

At this point I think it is a bit confusing. If you go to the steps section, it collects the data on its own and shows how many steps you have taken. But the calories one does not collect anything. It looks like you need to manually enter your donut there. But if you look at the two data points I mentioned, they look identical in the app with no way to tell one collects data automatically and the other does not.

11. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

The Health app just writes and sends out the data being given to it. Since the M7 doesn't specifically calculate calories burned, then it's not data that's available for it to read from.

An app like MyFitnessPal (when the apps are allowed back anyway) will do that though. It will also streamline the nutrition, calories, sugar, etc input. All you have to do is tell it what you're eating/drinking in said app, and it'll send the numbers over to the Health app.

RunKeeper and all the rest will do similar things, and Health will relay whatever information the other app needs. In this case, calories burned would be brought back into MFP.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I think this is because the iPhones M7/M8 can count steeps. You can also replace, supplement and prioritise the Step info with other sources by hitting Edit.

If you want Calorie or any other info for that matter you will need an App that does that.

EDIT: Jessica beat me to it and her response seems to match what I'm thinking also.

13. DannyT2011 macrumors member

I use the app on my iPhone 5s to show me Steps as well as Walking + Running Distance (which will give you a total distance walked/ran) it seems the M7 chip can record both of these.

They seem fairly accurate too, clicking "Show All Data" gives you the distance walked every minute or so, stopping whilst I am travelling in a car or train. Pretty cool.

14. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I immediately bury my health app in a folder, crack open another brewsky and fire up Marlboro. Then I enjoy hating all the Santa Clara Valley douchbags.

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think there is a section in the app where you can log this. :D