How do you use iTunes??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Earley008, Dec 7, 2008.

?

Are You Bothered about organization??

1. Yes - Everything is perfect

73.2%
  2. No - I have better things to do!!

9.8%
  3. I Try my best - I don't have time!

17.1%
  1. Earley008 macrumors member

Hi all, I am getting all my media into itunes and i was wondering ...

1) How do you use playlist with your media and your iPods/iPhones - do you use smart playlist create your own??

2) How do you view your music etc and how do you sort it. I would love to be able to sort it in artist date order of there album - any ideas

3)How much do you put in iTunes do you do every last CD and DVD or just what you are going to use

4) How do you play your music?? Do you stream it or iPod Speakers or simply through your MAC

5) How Is your music stored? External hard drives or on your internal? Do You use partitions??

I am getting getting into my media so i have started wondering how everyone else does it (dont mean to be nosy:p)

Any screenshots or ideas would be helpful. I will post my screenshots later when I have finished the bulk of my organization

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

1) Both... Smart playlists for some things (e.g. recently added music) and regular playlists for the rest. Most of the smart playlists are to manage music more than for listening -- e.g. I use them to determine what songs go on my iPods. I use Genius Playlist a lot more than I thought I would, FWIW.

2) I usually sort "Artist by Album" -- which, I think, is what you want (artist and albums by date) -- if you keep clicking on the Album heading, you'll get various options, including this one. On my iPhone I almost always find things from the Artist list.

3) All my music. My CDs are boxed up.

4) Mostly on my iPhone right now, or an iPod I have at my office with an iLuv speaker system. At home right now I use the standard display/internal speakers, although in the past, I've used a receiver and bookshelf speakers.

5) I let iTunes organize it, on the boot drive (no partitions), in my Music folder....

3. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

1) How do you use playlist with your media and your iPods/iPhones - do you use smart playlist create your own??
    Smartlist for newest added, otherwise my own.

2) How do you view your music etc and how do you sort it. I would love to be able to sort it in artist date order of there album - any ideas
    I've never thought about it - i sort or search when i'm looking for something.

3)How much do you put in iTunes do you do every last CD and DVD or just what you are going to use
    All my music is in iTunes, CDs are packed. DVDs are loaded into a 400 disk changer - someday i'd love to have them ripped on the computer and a full fledged modern system. Hmmm, wonder if i won lotto last night?

4) How do you play your music?? Do you stream it or iPod Speakers or simply through your MAC
    Either on my MBP, in car or with my portable speakers.

5) How Is your music stored? External hard drives or on your internal? Do You use partitions??
    Currently all on my MBP drive in the music folder. But i'm really out of space and need it OFF of there. I just don't have the time money to do anything about it right now. I'm intrigued about running it off my Time Capsule disk though (i have manually backed up my purchases there). I'm in a satellite recording marathon until May - that will be when i can ponder it all again.

4. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

1. the only smart playlist i have is Recently Added, which it keeps music that i've added from the last 2 weeks.

2. i sort EVERY playlist by Artist, just a habit.

3. i've put every CD onto my iTunes and synced it all onto my 32GB Touch. if you have the room, why not? it's a different story if you have memory limits.

4. i'm a PC user, i use external Sony speakers. good quality, i use the speakers with my xbox 360 as well.

5. all of my music is internally stored, my hard drive is only 150ish GB, and my Touch has about 23.1GB of data stored and it is all on my hard drive. if i ever come close to running out of room, i'll just buy an external hard drive and put my documents on that, because transferring music files (in my experience) takes a significant amount of time.

any thoughts please reply :)

5. Earley008 thread starter macrumors member

Lol:D
    I wish I could afford an amazing set up

6. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

1) Both. It's easier to select a full album (for instance) and create playlist from selection.

2) I use almost exclusively the list view. My library is sorted by album by artist.

3) All of my music is in iTunes -- only most of it gets transferred to my iPod. All of my CDs have been ripped and added to iTunes. Christmas music gets de-selected for most of the year and selected for about a month and a couple of weeks.

4) iPod for the car. iTunes on my Mac Pro at home.

5) My 45+ GB library is on my internal HD (750GB). Everything is backed-up to two external firewire drives. One backup is files only. The other (to a separate drive) is a clone of the 750GB just in case.

7. yoppie macrumors 6502a

1) How do you use playlist with your media and your iPods/iPhones - do you use smart playlist create your own?? I use smart playlists sometimes but lately I've been using the Genius feature. Most times I just drag full albums into my generic iPhone music playlist.

2) How do you view your music etc and how do you sort it. I would love to be able to sort it in artist date order of there album - any ideas My music is sorted by artists.

3)How much do you put in iTunes do you do every last CD and DVD or just what you are going to use. I use iTunes strictly for music and podcasts. The only video in my iTunes library are those from iTunes.

4) How do you play your music?? Do you stream it or iPod Speakers or simply through your MAC I mainly stream it to speakers throughout the house using Airport Express but I do have earphones for those times when I just want to listen in bed and not share the music with anyone else.

5) How Is your music stored? External hard drives or on your internal? Do You use partitions?? It's stored on an external hard drive - 120GB WD Passport

I am getting getting into my media so i have started wondering how everyone else does it (dont mean to be nosy) It's ok, I forgive you for being nosy. :p

8. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

Both, Smart Playlists for organizing multiple albums by one artist and I create my own depending on the day/mood

I sort by artist

I only own what I like so that's what goes into iTunes. I don't use iTunes for DVDs that I've ripped

4) How do you play your music?? Do you stream it or iPod Speakers or simply through your Mac
    I use either some JBLs or B&Ws or both at the same time

Internal, but I'm thinking about moving it to my external WD HD

Attached Files:

9. Earley008 thread starter macrumors member

MacGeek7 I see you have a iTunes essential playlist folder Do you get them off the iTunes store?

I do!

10. bwortman macrumors member

bwortman

1) I have created several smart playlists as well as list by genre. Holiday music just got loaded on the iPhone 3G for Christmas time. I use smart playlists for my iPhone mainly because of it only being 8GB and don't want all 2K songs loaded. Now with my iPod I load everything (songs, playlists, genre, smart playlists, etc).

2) It just depends on what I am looking for at the time! I do alot of my ratings based on number of skips compared to number of plays.

3) All in there

4) If at home I run it through the connected external speakers in my office and through appleTV if out in the rest of my house. On the road I use both my iPhone and iPod when driving.

5) On the MacBook

11. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

I don't use Playlist.

Sorted in the iTunes Standard (Artist).

I put everything I want to listen watch on it.

Mac:p I play my music through iTunes into external speakers:D

External and Internal, External for Films and TV Shows and the Internal for Music:D

12. carlgo macrumors 68000

I convert mine to mp3s so they will also play on my Garmin gps. That way when I drive I get gps, music, bluetooth. I ran an aux connection to the radio. The fm broadcast thing is awful and unsafe.

I also buy some from Amazon. Mp3 all the way so easier. Itunes, though, is such a better program to search and buy from.

The genius list feature is great. I sneered at it, tried it and now use it all the time.

13. QueenZ macrumors 6502

QueenZ

I prefer VLC instead of iTunes and now when there's playlist in VLC it's even better! :)