how do you use mywi to wirelessly setup ps3 and/or netflix

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Scott44, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Scott44 macrumors newbie

I hope someone can help me out with this one. How do you use mywi to wirelessly setup ps3 and/or netflix. Oddly enough, I cannot get a ISP to service my location so I was hoping my jailbroken iphone 4 was my solution once I found out about mywi and/or PDANet. However, I cannot get my PS3 to recongnize the signal even when I put it right next to the device. I know there are plenty of people smater than me that have figured this out and hoping you can help me. Please let me know what you know on this topic. Thanks a lot all.:D

2. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

You want to use your iPhone data for connecting your PS3 to the internet? I don't have any experience with the PS3 but the iPhone speed is way too slow for online gaming. You're going to be lagging very bad and possibly not even connecting.

3. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

Or are you trying to stream content from your PS3 onto your iPhone?

4. outphase macrumors 65816

The PS3 will not connect to an ad hoc network. You must tunnel through a computer.

5. Scott44 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks......but what about

Thank you all for responding. I can see where it will be to slow for gaming to use just my iPhone signal through mywi. And yes, I was trying to connect through an ad hoc network using my mywi.
    But in regards to useing my laptop as a tunnel, I have tried to the best of my ability to do that as well but I can't seem to make it work. I hooked up an ethernet cord to my laptop and the PS3 and connected to one of the wireless signals close to me but it still does not recongnize the one I pick up on the laptop that I know are not password protected.

Any other thoughts? :rolleyes: Thanks again.

6. Scott44 thread starter macrumors newbie

No just signal...

No, just pick up a wireless signal on the PS3 to play online or get Netflix to stream. I have resonably strong signals around me but they are not being picked up on the PS3 system but my laptop picks them up and connects? I am sure I am asking too much without my own connection but I can't get service out at my locations:(

Thanks for responding.

7. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I dont think your computer can share internet unless it is directly connected to an internet source via ethernet. You can't share a wifi internet connection that you're "sharing" from someone else already. Why can't your PS3 connect to one of those wireless connections you connect to the laptop. I don't have experience with the PS3 either so I don't know how it connects. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Woops, sorry, missed your post above about the PS3 not picking up those signals.

8. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Don't have a lot of experience with ps3 but I would either say the wireless card in it is broken or all of the networks around you are already adhoc networks since you don't get Internet in your area. I would also think playing games and streaming hd movies over your AT&T data connection would use up your allotted monthly data allowance fairly quickly.

9. TxLee macrumors newbie

ive used my BB bold 9000 and iphone w/ mywi on my ps3 to play modern warfare 2... worked great at times.. and sum lag at sum times..

easiest way to do it is tether to ur laptop, then connect a CROSSOVER LAN CABLE from ur laptop to ur ps3 and it should work.

ps. u can create ur own crossover lan cable with a regular lan cable with a couple tools

10. TaylorBoi macrumors member

Its rather tricky. I finally got mines to connect to xbox live using mywi tethering through a USB cable. I had to set the IP Address, DNS server, Subnet etc Manually. I couldnt get it to connect automatically for some reason. I'm sure you can set the network settings on the ps3 manually. Try that. What type of laptop do you have btw?

Gameplay wise it works way better than i expected. My 3G network is really fast in my area and I get 3 out of 4 green bars on Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2.

11. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Hmm interesting. How much data would you say you use in a typical session of call of duty... say in one hour?

12. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

You have to manually enter the information and use a computer to tunnel. I can confirm this is possible as I do it all the time on the go. The game play is not that bad surprisingly. I have good ATT 3G signal though, I do not lag at all most sessions.

Never tried with netflix so I don't know but I have watched Flash TV shows (trueblood, entourage, etc) from the PS3 internet browser without a problem.

13. TaylorBoi macrumors member

Its rather low and nothing to worry about. I've been on for hours at a time and the data usage be low. I can try to get those numbers for you tonight once I get online.

14. low23 macrumors newbie

What I have done in the past is use my computer to connect to a wireless router (untethered) and then I set up a bridged connection so that I could tether my Xbox360 to my computer. This worked great. So in theory, you should be able to connect your computer to your iPhone using MyWi and then your PS3 to your computer. I've never done this but should work.

Also, I have always heard that playing games uses a lot less data than you would think, you just want a consistent connection. That is why DSL is preferred over cable. You can get a much faster connection with cable but since it is so inconsistent it could drop to nothing at times leaving you in freeze mode while your friends are pounding your face with M16 rounds. Playing games uses much less data while sending/receiving (from what I've heard).

I can't remember how to bridge connections but you should be able to search this and find a solution. Good luck.

15. low23 macrumors newbie