How do you use passbook?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by trenfro, Jul 31, 2012.

1. trenfro macrumors newbie

I am not a developer, but I am just curious. I know you have the gift card, for example, and they scan it and it takes the money out. But what if they think its a fraud, an app that gets you free money. I don't want to go to Wal-Mart and pay for something with a gift card on Passbook and have them question its reliability. I want them to scan it, and go. Another question, when they scan it, will the red laser eventually distort the screen? Any help would be appreciated. I've been wondering these things for quite some time. :D

2. brylliant macrumors regular

brylliant

From what I understand, Passbook is a way to store your existing coupons, gift cards, tickets and more right on your iPhone.

I'm guessing it will tie in with the next iPhone's NFC chip. It will be interesting to see how it will work in real life but it's currently not working right now so it's hard to see it in full swing.

I dont think that the scanner will distort the screen overtime. Maybe apps already allow you to scan things like this and we have yet to hear about distorted screens! It's just a brief scan and if you are really concerned about something like that then maybe you should just stick to manual payments?

3. trenfro thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! But you didn't exactly answer my first question. If I was a cashier, I would think its a fraud, simply because theres probably all sorts of ways to lie like that. How can the cashier confirm it's reliability?

4. brylliant macrumors regular

brylliant

I kinda answered that because it will be interesting to see how it will work in real life. You are right though, There are many security issues behind it and we will have to wait and see what happens ;)

And I forget to mention that say if you had a Starbucks card. Then when you're out, you pass a Starbucks. You will get a lockscreen notification that a Starbucks is nearby so you can open up your card. So the App is also using location services.

5. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

Well if it's a fraud, it just wouldn't go through. You can go to a store and try to use an empty gift card today, and the cashier would just scan it and tell you it's empty. They don't call the cops or anything. So if you had a fake one or empty passbook card, it just wouldn't scan or they would tell you there's no cash left on your card.

6. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

If its not in use/security issues/etc...then why are they including it?

It seems like a pointless feature if it doesn't even work

7. trenfro thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys! You're helping a lot. I understand that if it's a fraud then it won't go through, but what if the cashier simply doesn't scan it because he/she thinks its not real/valid?

8. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Then if he/she doesn't scan it (and it's that important to you to use it) simply ask for his/her manager.

9. trenfro thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!:)

10. ki7hy macrumors member

It's included in the beta so the companies wanting to use it can start developing their own material to integrate with it. If they didn't have it now then it wouldn't have content when the launch happens and people would be saying" why do we have it, there isn't' a use for it".

You either have to be patient or become one.

11. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I assume you are referring to people that aren't aware of the technology? Things like showing coupons on your iPhone, using groupons, scanning for airport tickets, scanning for starbucks gift cards, etc. have been slowly on the rise for the past couple years. I remember how weird it felt the first time or two trying to show a digital coupon at a restaurant or not knowing if the cashier will know how to use the groupon properly. But it's becoming much more common place, and after iOS 6 hits it will become even more common. You may have a cashier or two give you an odd look at first, but you have to realize that is their job. They will see people using passbook on their iPhone on a daily basis. Before long they won't even give it a second look and just scan it dutifully :)

12. madsci954, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

madsci954 macrumors 68030

I was under the impression that Passbook needs the appropriate app to function. Meaning, if you want to add your Starbucks card, you need to have the Starbucks app on your iPhone and logged in with you account. The Starbucks app then sends the Starbucks card info to Passbook and creates a scan-able card that a cashier scans and completes the purchase.

In other words, all Passbook does is takes all the company cards from apps and puts them all in one convenient place.

I may be wrong here, so please feel free to correct me if I am.

EDIT: Also, how would going through airport security work with this? How it works now (in the US at least) a TSA official takes your paper boarding pass, puts it under a light, then marks it off. How the heck will they do this with iDevices? I've been wondering this since Passbook was announced.

13. Doombringer macrumors regular

I believe that's how it will work. You won't "scan in" gift cards... you'll have to associate them with an account at the retailer. I can imagine getting a Home Depot gift card, going online to register it to my account and/or app, possibly passing a few verification passes, and then having it appear in Passbook.

14. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

The UV light is for your drivers license/ID, not the boarding pass itself.

My guess is that you'll still need a paper boarding pass for the security checkpoint, but can then use the Passbook version to board the aircraft.

15. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

Has anybody had any problems with retailers not being able to scan your passbook card? i.e. scanners not able to "read" the screen? I had an app before (I never tested it out, can't remember the name either) and many of the reviews said many scanners weren't capable of reading the barcode.

16. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Then the feature is useless

17. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Oh yeah, you're right. Sorry, the only time I fly is like the first flights out, so I go through security at like 4 or 5 in the morning. I'm still asleep at that point.

18. URFloorMatt macrumors 6502

Pretty sure United already offers a digital only boarding pass through their own app, so I don't think this is correct.

19. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

I don't think so. At least not here in UK.
    I have traveled with British Airways, and all i had to do is show is my digital boarding pass from their iPhone app and my Passport. It works like a treat and it was so good not having to worry about missplacing or loosing the boarding pass. And the airport staff seemed very much aware of the technology. One phone for everything. It's brilliant.

20. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I understand Passbook only works with particiapting merchants. So if the cashier balks then it's likely a training issue. Ask for the manager.

21. iPhoneApple macrumors 6502

This makes me excited for Passbook. (unless my phone died before security :p)

22. deeddawg macrumors 604

Delta does as well.

Not all airports are equipped to handle electronic boarding passes, but it works fine at those which are. I've used it.