Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sanclemente

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
Hi All,
I just upgraded to Leopard and I'm trying to wrap my head around Spaces. It seems neat and all, but I can't really figure out how to use it in my workflow. I typically just switch between apps with apple - tab. So, how do you use spaces?

munson

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2008
Boston, MA
IM's in one space, iTunes in another space, Firefox in one space, Transmission/other random crap and finder windows in the fourth space. Also, when I have to do actual work or play games I do it in the space with Transmission.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
IM's in one space, iTunes in another space, Firefox in one space, Transmission/other random crap and finder windows in the fourth space. Also, when I have to do actual work or play games I do it in the space with Transmission.

exactly the same as me. Except I'm now using six spaces. Same as above, but one for web dev (coda), one for terminal windows, etc.

LOVE spaces

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
My spaces is set up for Finder and related in space one, internet browsing in space two, Music editing/composition in space 3, IMing/iLifeApps/et cetera in space 4, I forget what I do in space 5...and Mail in space 6. That's probably not the most efficient way of doing things, or atleast not for other people...but I like it and it works for me. Just figure out what you like best, or don't use it at all..It's not really mandatory or anything.

karenflower

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2007

I also have mine set up like this, but use a couple of extra spaces for the random stuff instead of putting it with Transmission.

As for using it in your workflow, it all depends on what you find most comfortable. You could have a different space for each project, or bunch related apps together. Personally, I just love being able to frame a program with an uncluttered background. Both aesthetically pleasing and functional (since assigning most-used apps to specific spaces means they're always easy to find). :)

TH-Gunner

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2008
Spaces is pretty cool. This might help you get started:

To call Spaces up (view all active spaces and be able to select one to bring to focus), you can:

1. Press F8 (or whatever your hotkey is set to)
2. Click the icon in the Dock (assuming you have Spaces in the Dock)
3. Move the mouse to a corner of the screen; choose which corner in System Preferences

To move around Spaces, you can:

1. Call Spaces up using the aforementioned methods and click on the space of your choice
2. Use Apple + Arrow (up, down, left right); you might have to choose this hotkey for yourself in System Preferences
3. Click the Spaces icon in the Menu Bar at the top and choose the space (if it's not in your Menu Bar, you can put it there by checking off a check box in System Preferences)
4. Drag a window to the edge of a space and hold it there for a second or two

Also note that you can make certain applications always open up in a certain workspace. You can "default" it to Space 1, 2, 3, etc, so that whenever you open it, it will go to that Space (and it will change the current Space for you automatically).

One of my favorite things to do is this:

I have Expose set up so that bottom-left corner shows the desktop, bottom-right organizes all windows, and upper-right shows me all spaces. If I have a cluster of open windows on my desktop, I organize all the windows by moving the mouse to the bottom-right, show Spaces by going upper-right, then move one of the windows to the clean new Space.

It just feels so pro :cool:

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
i find it is easier and more efficient to do this with spaces

eliminate all columns until there is only two
eliminate all rows until 1

so you have two spaces
switching back and forth between two makes it easier and better i think.
having to press something more than 3 times to go to space 5 or something gets confusing and tiresome

i mean i use an external monitor so two spaces is more like 4 spaces i guess
its nice to use spaces as stated.

put itunes on my 2nd space as i can control it from my keyboard and if want to change it just go their and do not have to open it.

i also put background programs (ie ripping, copying) on the second

and if doing a project for example
pages and text edit and iphoto in one space
then safari in the other if you have a lot of windows

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
TH-Gunner said:
I have Expose set up so that bottom-left corner shows the desktop, bottom-right organizes all windows, and upper-right shows me all spaces. If I have a cluster of open windows on my desktop, I organize all the windows by moving the mouse to the bottom-right, show Spaces by going upper-right, then move one of the windows to the clean new Space.

It just feels so pro :cool:

i have the same set up almost
i just use command arrow to switch and have dashboard left bottom, desktop bottom left, all apps up right.

well not exactly or close

just remembered this.
when i am at home i use external mouse and keyboard, my mouse has another set of back and forward so i use that for spaces using usboverdrive which is amazing right now

i was even thinking of having my tilt wheel left or right

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
if you are a mouse person, I set up spaces as middle click and love it. Its so easy for me to switch around spaces. I also have it set up as a hot corner

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I have the Finder and iChat or Adium (iChat at work, Adium at home) set up for every Space so they're always there, and then Safari/Firefox in Space 1, Mail/Address Book in Space 2, Pages/Keynote/Numbers/etc in Space 3, and Space 4 usually left blank so if I need to see the desktop I can get there without using Expose (which has cause issues with several programs in the past).

I also never use the Spaces view, I just either Apple-Tab between applications or hit Control-Arrows.

jW

BlakTornado

Apr 24, 2007
Washington, OH
I have four.

Space 1 - Safari, Adium/Skype Conversation Windows, whatever I'm working on.

Space 2 - Mail, Skype/Adium contact lists

Space 3 - iTunes

Space 4 - Overflow. I don't really use this but if I need extra room, I'll use this. Say if I have Final Cut open in Space 1 but what to check up on various forums I go on, Myspace, etc.

I did have Six until a minute ago but I realized I never used that many. Plus it can be confusing at times if I accidentally press the wrong button my mouse.

kap91

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2006
Spaces is amazing, just takes a little while to get used to. I currently have 9 spaces although I only normally use 6

1. Used for Safari and anything else
2. Anything
3. EyeTV
4. Mail, iCal
5. iTunes (I like the window to be open but I don't want to see it-this works out great)
6. iWork, Office, etc
7. Final Cut Express
8. Livetype
9. Gaming

Of course this might be a bit overboard as viewed by some but for me at least it works out great. I love being able to keep all my windows open and not minimized or closed but still not have the window clutter.

montycat

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2007
Florida
For some reason I can not get Spaces to work. When I assign an application to a space and click on it, the screen always reverts to the desktop. Does any one else have the problem? MC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.