How do you use watch/wrist when you use QR codes and other scannable apps

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by shayneox, Jul 6, 2015.

1. shayneox macrumors member

shayneox

Curious as to how others do it...we use an app called Belly here in Korea, (Osan Airbase).

It gets you free food and drinks when you visit establishments frequently.

When I open the app on watch its shows a QR code that we scan at the counter on a iPad mini, however when I flick my wrist over to scan the code on watch, the screen turns off, then I must hit it again while wrist/watch is upside down to wake it up...this is awkward and takes away from coolness/convenience of the watch and the cashier.

Is there a better way??

2. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

Passbook on the Watch will keep the screen on, so if there's a way to get the QR code to show in Passbook then you would be good to go.

3. shayneox thread starter macrumors member

shayneox

4. friedmud macrumors 65816

Yep - Passbook is the answer. Once "locked" on a QR code (ie you've selected a card and scrolled down so the code fills the whole screen) the screen will go to max brightness and stay on for a long time (minutes) - making it a snap to scan.

5. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

Belly is really problematic. I've had problems with the QR code getting read on an iPad Mini in Passbook on my iPhone. I've always had to open the app to get it to reliably scan. The Watch just doesn't work.

As far as I can tell, the front-facing camera on the Mini just isn't good enough to detect the QR codes in Passbook. Belly also uses different QR codes in Passbook vs the app... So well, sorry, no luck here.

6. shayneox thread starter macrumors member

shayneox

passbook did not work for Belly...says no app to associate or something along those lines.