Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
While in school I always have textedit running and an open document for each class/lecture open to full screen. Nothing else is opened during the school day. To many distractions.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
I use my MacBook in all three of my A2 subjects, Psychology, Geography, and Business Studies.

In exams, I am allowed to use a word processor as well as getting 25% extra time because I have Dysgraphia and Dyspraxia, but a condition of this is that I must use a computer as my primary note taking method in all lessons.

In Psychology, all of our notes are written, with no graphs or diagrams, so I just copy it in Word. Geography is mostly the same, and thankfully our teacher prints off any diagrams/graphs, so I don't need to copy them. In Business Studies, all our notes are printed off for us anyway, so I only use my MacBook for answering questions.

Using a laptop doesn't distract me in anyway as there isn't any insecure WiFi within range (which is odd for central London). It's also really useful having my MacBook with me because I can do my homework in the library in my breaks or on the train. I never have to take my charger because I can just manage a whole day on a single charge. And yes, I still have to bring textbooks, and folders for each subject.

Smacky

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2008
The best time to use a laptop is when the lecture notes are made available beforehand in powerpoint format. Then you can follow along the slides and make notes in the notes section of easch slide
But other than that paper is better

jensepollense

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2007
Virginia Tech/Blacksburg, VA
I only use my computer when I'm strictly taking notes in Word, no equations or graphs, etc. This only applies to one of my classes, so for all of my chemistry, biology, math classes I just use pen and paper. It's just easier. I must say, though, that a mac tablet would take care of this problem. Hopefully Apple comes up with something.

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Our school has block scheduling:
- 4 classes a day
- Each class is 81 minutes in length

We also have 4 types of days (A,B,C,D)

On B days last year I had study hall 1st block and 3rd block! 160+ minutes of nothing to do! So I brought my MacBook Pro in and played these such games:

- Halo
- Age of Empires 2 and 3
- GTA Vice City
- GTA San Andreas
- Unreal Tournament
- Pocket Tanks
- Age of Mythology
- Tiger Wood's PGA 2005

It was awesome until one teacher told me not to play GTA anymore. She didn't mind any other games though!

Also my friend brought in his MacBook and we played multiplayer games with a LAN connection.

And also I broke into the schools "secure" internet.:rolleyes:

iHusky

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2007
i guess something no one has really considered is what kind of classes you'll be in.it seems computers are next to useless in technical courses with lots of diagrams or things that cannot be input on a keyboard, but could be useful in a liberal arts setting.

surprised to see so many responses from technical students. so much for macs being only for creative types.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I avoid bringing my laptop in unless i need to write an essay because my course has a dedicated computer lab with capable computers (Dell Optiplex systems and 20" Widescreen displays) to do anything i want. Also all lectures are uploaded to the virtual learning environment the night before so i can easily read up before going to class

If i bring my laptop in however, its because i intend to park myself in the library for hours to write an essay/construct diagrams or create databases not for note taking...i use good ol pen & paper for that.

yourdream

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
I carry my Aluminum MacBook in my iSkin SOHO with my iSkin ProTouch keyboard protector to school. I use it mainly for my yearbook class because I am charge of creating background pictures with photoshop cs4 and the old eMacs at school are really slow. Also, I use the laptop for doing homework and for studying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.