Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Personally I have never spent a cent on centent thought the Apple TV. I use it purely for airplay whether it be Plex or Itunes.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I use it primarily for Netflix, streaming iTunes from the web and my local library. I also use iTunes Radio a lot as well. Once in a while I AirPlay content from the MBP to it.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Mainly for plex...... but now my mac doesn't Wake on Network anymore, not so much.

Tha said I've got a plex server on my seedbox, so that get used a lot instead.

Slippery Gimp

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Leeds, UK
The one Apple TV 3 I own is in the bedroom where we use it for Netflix and using BBC iPlayer over Airplay.

I really, really wish the UK Apple TV would support UK catch up TV channels directly, rather than having to Airplay BBC iPlayer. If they did, I'd have one in the living room as well, but until that day comes I'll use my PS3.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
All DVDs and Blu-Ray are ripped and stored on a Drobo attached to a Mac Mini to serve all of the Apple TV and iOS devices in the house. iTunes content (more digital copies that came with blu-ray purchases rather than actual iTunes purchases) is also stored there and done over the local network rather than streamed over iCloud.

We also use our Apple TV for Netflix.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Netflix, iTunes rentals, Crackle, ripped movie & TV show playback, YouTube & Vimeo...mostly in that order...mostly.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Netflix
Hulu
iTunes Radio
Streaming downloaded video from PC, TopGear

I have rented, it's rare. But occasionally, sitting down, can't find anything on Netflix, and oh yea there was a movie I missed. Rent. It is convenient.

Two future wishes.
1. Appstore and games.
2. HD TV over the air tuner, with overlay, and maybe DVR ability.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Watching iTunes content (like ugahairydawgs, I rip all my BDs and DVDs to iTunes); listening to iTunes radio or other radio stations through the app; and airplay.

One thing we like to do it set up playlists for parties, as well as a specific slideshow that contains photos relative to those attending. We just let both run throughout the event, with the iPhone remote app in my pocket in case I need to change anything.

kelub

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
We cut the cord last month and so the Apple TV's are now our primary media devices. It's been awesome.

- Hulu Plus
- Netflix
- HBO Go (Mother in law still has a service provider; we pay for her HBO subscription)
- Home media server
- Occasional rent/buy on iTunes
- iTunes Match
- iTunes Radio, sometimes
- AirPlay Spotify

The Apple TV used to get about 30-40% of our use, alongside the DVR. Now it's 90-98%. If the TV is on in a room, the Apple TV in that room is on.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I use mine to stream my iTunes library, to extend my macbook display (usually just streaming live news, events, or the slingbox webpage - Slingbox really needs to get an app for the ATV!), and just the youtube app to watch hilarity on the big screen. Sometimes I do stray into the Korean TV app just to stare in awe.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Netflix, Hulu plus, HBO go, crunchyroll, iTunes Radio, normal radio app, airplay and airplay mirroring.

I've also never spent money on iTunes movies and rentals. I'm not against it though just never have.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I use mine for MLB.TV and NHL Gamecenter Live. Haven't really used it for any music, but it works great for streaming online sports.

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
All DVDs and Blu-Ray are ripped and stored on a Drobo attached to a Mac Mini to serve all of the Apple TV and iOS devices in the house. iTunes content (more digital copies that came with blu-ray purchases rather than actual iTunes purchases) is also stored there and done over the local network rather than streamed over iCloud.

We also use our Apple TV for Netflix.

Exact same setup / use here, though I use StreamToMe / Plex for streaming to Macs / tablets / phones. Really wish Apple would sort out the UI, though, managing large libraries is a huge PITA.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Yesterday while cooking dinner I threw iTunes Radio on. (I used to use MusicChoice or MusicChannel whatever came with Comcast/Fios)

This past weekend I got into Vimeo for the first time.
Wow, some of the mini movies on there are STUNNING.

Basically, just use it to listen to some tunes, watch a few kids shows/movies we have access to. I might try a HD stream but of the digital copies I have with many Blurays the Bluray looks better. Lately though the HD DCs are nice.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Airplay & XBMC on iOS 4.1 ;-) You'll have to pry my ATV2 from my cold, dead hands.

CrazyNurse

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
I really wish I utilized my ATV2 better because all I really use it for is to receive Airplayed music from my mac.

I mostly use DirecTV for cable stuff.

Sometimes, I access Netflix through my BR player.

I know this can be jailbroken to load PLEX and XBMC on, so maybe Ill be using it more as I plan to rip my BD/DVD collection to MP4.

Last edited:

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Pretty much the same as everyone else. We watch a lot of Netflix and Hulu Plus, occasionally iTunes Radio My kids watch a lot of minecraft videos on YouTube. We have many of our DVD's ripped and streamed from an old headless Windows desktop.

abta1

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
Paris, France
I mainly use mine for Airplay between my iPad and MBA. Being able to mirror the MBA screen to my TV makes the ATv worth it. I have on occasion used the youtube app but it's functionality is limited compared to that on Chromecast or even my PS3.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I use mine for watching Netflix, Amazon instant video, watching iTunes content and airplay from my ipad.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Watch OTA shows recorded using EyeTV on my mac (and exported to iTunes).
Netflix.
Ripped Disney movies for the kids.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.