How do you use your iPad for work?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Stealthipad, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Please explain the practicality of using your iPad in a work environment.

Do you use it in the office or in the field?

How does it help you?

What apps are most helpful in getting your job done more efficiently?

I thought this would be informational for people who are not getting the full benefit of their iPads in a work environment.

:apple:

2. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Here's how I am currently using it. I am an elementary teacher.

I have the iworks suite, but currently use pages mainly for viewing documents. Keynote occasionally for putting together simple presentations during assembly (frees me up to walk around the stage when paired with my keynote clicker, rather than be stuck off-stage).

I use numbers to create a checklist for keeping track of administrative forms and submission of assignments.

I save softcopies of textbooks/lesson plans to my ipad, which I can view as and when I like, without having to lug tons of loose sheets or heavy books around.

When I want to showcase someone's work in class, I can take a photo with my ipad on the spot, then show it via the interactive whiteboard (using that vga adapter; expensive but worth every cent). Ditto for stuff like newspaper articles and the like.

So far, for me, it is like a clipboard that essentially holds an unlimited number of documents. :p

3. jojoba macrumors 68000

I have used it to go paperless in the office. I do all my note taking on my iPad. It also contains my entire research library and I use it extensively as an e-reader and for PDF annotation. I use it to Skype with colleagues based elsewhere. Typical apps I use are
    Notability
    iAnnotate
    PDF expert
    Dropbox
    Circus Ponies notebook
    Evernote
    Keynote

4. infinitemethod macrumors member

I have tried every browser on the AppStore and still cannot find one that will save my company website passwords. This is key for me to use this in my business and it fails unfortunately.

5. davids8477 macrumors 6502

Have you tried using a password manager - like 1password?

6. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

PDF's and AutoCAD. What a timesaver on the go.

7. Stealthipad thread starter macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Are you converting the .dwg files to .pdf ?

8. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

I'm a system architect, I've tried several drawing and diagraming tools, but unless I'm just making a simple flow chart, it's not working out too well - it's certainly slowing me down compared to using a mouse and keyboard, unfortunately.

9. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

those types of password managers are a poor band-aid at best. what the OP was referring to was a web browser that can autosave your login info - name & password - so that the browser will auto-fill them in the next time you go to the webpage.

all the password managers apps that i've seen don't have that type of integration. most just display the password, which you then have to memorize, then switch to the web browser, then you type it in or at best, they allow you to copy to the clipboard, then you switch to the browser, and then you paste it in. either way, it largely sucks on the ipad.

does anyone know of a web browser that can save the info? i've been hoping that atomic will add this feature soon.

10. spice weasel macrumors 65816

How do you like Notebook? I've toyed around with a trial of the desktop version, but I can never seem to get into it. I think it's something about the skeuomorphic design that turns me off. It's also pricey to get both the desktop and iPad versions. I've been thinking about giving it another shot, but I want a note-taking, project management, and content management system that works seamlessly between my iPad and my various desktop and laptop computers. So far, I've been using Evernote, but I wish it had mind mapping functionality. For now I use MagicalPad for mind maps and linked ordered lists, and then export as a PDF to Evernote. That works for now, but there doesn't seem to be a single app that does it all and that has a companion iPad app. Curio is great, but no iPad counterpart.

11. Vindicator macrumors member

I'm a developer so I still need my PC anyway. But my mom is a high school chemistry teacher and she uses her iPad for pretty much everything

Pages for document, exam,...
    Numbers for student, grade spreadsheet
    Goodreader for PDF book
    HiCalc for calculator, equation solver
    Wolfarm Alpha and Wiki Offline for reference
    Calendar for scheduling classes
    2Do for to-do, reminder
    Penultimate for drafting
    Note for everything about classroom which where she was homeroom teacher

Only thing she still need her laptop for is write, prepare exam (need MathType and ChemDraw)

12. Teste macrumors 6502

Which app do you like the most for taking notes? I have been thinking about using Pages, but I'm curious about why you have chosen other apps.

13. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I really have no need for it for work, but I do work for a software company that's trying to get all of its products iPad compatible, and I do get asked to test things and give opinions on things sometimes.

14. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

Mercury does, although it can be flaky on some sites. Try the free version first.

How I use my iPad for work? I don't... .. when I have it out I end up doing sod all! :)

15. diane143 macrumors 6502a

I'm still developing my workflow.....

At the moment my work emails are on it

I've installed logmein but haven't used it yet (due to my client refusing to keep her machine on when she says she will)

I have a Windows Remote Desktop Connection app which really does work!

I've installed CloudOn and used it to edit a spreadsheet

I will be bringintg it on work weekends away instead of my laptop

Would love to try using it for notetaking! I'd be better with a stylus I think. I did get a cheap one but need to play with some apps.

16. nparmelee macrumors 6502

I use mine in the office and at customer sites. Usage includes:
    Email
    Notes from client meetings
    Using Pages for reports at client sites
    Using Keynote for client presentations

17. Coolestdude macrumors member

Lastpass works on the iPad. Download the browser from the app store.

18. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Nope, reading it straight on the iPad via AutoCAD WS. Some drawings I've exported to pdf, for simple coordination meetings or quick emailing. When I want to edit stuff on the fly or I'm in the office (WiFi), it makes life a little easier.

I also use PDF for specs and code manuals.

19. Stouver macrumors member

Wow i feel like I feel really old when I read this is what it's like in elementary school nowadays.

20. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Both

Remote/mobile access.

Citrix Receiver. Though it's not just the app itself that makes it useful. You need a suitable Citrix environment.

21. Tembrock macrumors newbie

Tembrock

iPad at Work

Here's some uses both my me, coworkers and dept:

ME: I use the iPad now in meetings to take notes (project coordinator). I've been learning the Omni programs (OmniFocus, OmniOutliner, etc) and I use those two both desktop and iPad versions. OmniOutliner is a great note taking program primarily because of the facile way you can quickly just add line items and indent them to show relationships then, if you're going to have "to do" items, just quickly create another column and make it a "Pop up" list style. Change the text items to "To Do", "Send email", "follow up", etc. There is a scanner program that works nicely with the camera and converts to PDFs. I've used Measures quite a bit around the office for jobs that I manage that require knowing measurements (take a photo then draw arrows and fill in measurement info, save to camera roll or email to someone who needs it - designer, etc). Back to OmniFocus. This is great because it's a great "To Do" list with the ability to sort by project, sync to the omni focus server, sync with iPhone version, add deadline dates, view things "at a glance" (to dos, deadlines, etc). Of course safari and email as well. VGA adapter is nice for show and tell in meetings. We use google earth a bit lately. Also, Photosynth is a great location manager, allowing you to access panoramas you've shot of locations and access them on the device whether you shot them on it or not (via the website). Just can't use it for sensitive data as it's not a private server per se (but you can opt not to publish and keep the panoramas private)

FILMMAKING/ACTOR (ME): In my other life as a filmmaker I use it as an e-reader (scripts), Orator for practicing lines, Movie Slate for DSLR sync sound, Pro Recorder for portable digital audio (that's more for the iPhone though), and I save equipment manuals for anything I think the crew might need to access on location for those pesky situations where someone isn't as familiar with a piece of equipment and needs help changing a setting (very indie stuff here if you can't tell).

OTHERS: I've seen them used outside conf rooms, synced with exchange and displaying schedules for the room. Also seen them as a portable "check in" device for events and a virtual "tour progress manager" via a website that pushes out updated from the "tour host" for others to track the progress of the tour via any web browser on company network wireless with a wireless certificate from company to authenticate the mobile device.

I'm sure there's more.

22. b.c. macrumors 6502

but 1Password does NOT have that limitation at all - it will let you login directly, without memorizing or copy/pasting the password or switching to a browser.

once you're in 1Password and have unlocked with your master password, you can not only simply see your saved login/password info for any particular site, but there's also a button (right arrow) next to the site name - if you click that, it opens up the website in a browser window (still within the 1Password app) and fills in your login info and you login from there.

works well on the iPad, as well as iPhone, Mac (and presumably Windows and Android, but I don't use those!). it also keeps all your passwords in sync between iPad, iPhone, desktop. worth a closer look if you need a password manager

23. jojoba macrumors 68000

I quite like the way it organises text in terms of the dividers and the ease with which you can jump back and forth between different headings and so on. However, I like the mac version better than the ipad version, and wish they would add writing pages to ipad. I agree they're a bit pricey. I initially also wanted something that does 'everything' and works across platforms (my office environment being windows), but it just doesn't seem possible. The one thing I always have with me is my iPad so I try to have as much as possible synced on to that. When I mind map on the iPad I use iThoughtsHD (forgot to mention that in my previous list). It really would be great if Curio and Scrivener could come up with an iPad version.

I like CPN for the reasons above, I think it's easier to navigate between different patrs of text and link different kinds of information within one notebook. It's less linear than Pages. I think I also subconsciously like the resemblance to a paper notebook.

Notability is a clear number one from my point of view for hand writing, which I do quite a bit of. I've tried several hand writing apps but this is my favourite. I also like the way it syncs audio notes and written notes.

7Notes is good because it converts handwriting to text, although I'm having mixed results with that because my hand writing is pretty sloppy.

I use Evernote mainly for storing smaller pieces of text, references, directions or images.

24. mikegoldnj macrumors regular

I've Had my iPad for one week, thinking of returning.

I've had the iPad for one week. Generally I really like it however, my main reason for buying it was to use as an alternative to my bulky, heavy work Dell laptop.

The real issue I am having is that I have to use Citrix Receiver to connect to my firm's network (they will not support VPN access on non-firm owned equipment) and, once inside the citrix environment on internet explorer, Outlook, etc., there is an onscreen "mouse" cursor.

I am finding it extremely difficult to navigate within the Citrix environment without the use of a mouse or trackpad. I did a search but it seems that the iPad will not allow the use of any external pointing device.

I think my only option is going to be to go with a MacBook Air.

25. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I upse mine for webmail, the occasional VPN session and for PDF manuals.