How do you use your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Espo, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Espo macrumors 6502

I have had an iPhone since it first came out and I am currently an iPhone 3G user. I can not complain at all about my phone and I love it. My last phone was a SE w810i, and I can't truthfully say whether I can live without my iPhone or not.

Ergo, I would like to know, out of curiosity, how you all use your iPhone? How do you utilize the iPhone's capabilities?

I find myself using my phone for AIM, checking up on sports rumors etc., Facebook, searching online for cheaper books, supplies etc.

I am a student, so I expect that other students and other people may use the phone differently.

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I use it to keep track of my various appointments and meetings (color-coded so I know what each is in reference to), to hold all of my contacts and the notes attached to said contacts, to keep in contact with the people in my professional and personal life (yes, I actually use it as a phone :eek: ), as one way of keeping up with the news of the day, and for entertainment.

And sometimes I just look at it adoringly.

3. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I'm a student, and when I get to class it'll probably change a little. So this is how I expect to be using it come later this month.

Phone Calls
    Calendar and keeping track of events
    Tasks (iProcrastinate) to keep track of projects
    Email so I can maintain faster correspondance with peers and professors
    Internet for settleing bar bets.

4. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

rated from most used
    1. phone
    2. ipod
    2. internet
    3. camera
    4. texts

5. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

I'm using it more than I thought I would! :) Previous Treo user that hated it, but this iphone is FAB.

* phone
    * Safari for when I dont feel like pulling out my laptop
    * SMS
    * Calendar
    * SplashID to keep track of my passwords
    * Email also for when I dont feel like pulling out my laptop, or am away for an extended period of time
    * Notes to keep track of my to-dos, shopping lists, etc.
    * Clock timer for falling asleep to music
    * iPod

I still have yet to use the GPS, yellow pages, Pandora, only slightly used camera so far or games. Will get around to those soon :D

6. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I just got mine and love it!

I use it for,

-Phone and texting of course, texting being a ten times better experience then the number keypad I had on my old phone, and I love the ichat like way the messages apear

-Internet, I find alot of times just surfing the web instead of using my actual computer... I like having access to the internet whever I am

-Ipod, think its great for ipod, just wish the controls were a bit better, since there are no physical buttons, its hard to switch songs easily after the phone locks up

-Applications, haven't been using them too much, but love the Yelp one to find restaurants, and like playing the cube runner one. I'm too cheap to buy any apps... yet.

7. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I use mine for organizing my financial data and budgeting. Basically my husband and i JUST got married in september and bought a house and all of our financials have been combined. I have more bills than i ever thought iw oudl have and i NEED to keep them organized.. so i keep the iphone on me so that i can track my spending on certain things and budget out money better.

I downloaded BUDGET and PAGEONCE personal assistant for these things.. I also NEEDED a good To DO list because of the new responsibilities at home and i took over all operations for a medium sizedbusiness so i need a quality todo list -- and i am VERY happy with You Note..

so my iphone is my personal organizer and personal assistant - and i LOVE having all that functionality on my phone.

I rarely text and IM,s o that is just an OPTION to me.. not a nessecity.

8. seattle macrumors 6502

Most of my use is browsing the Internet. I like to use it while out shopping and check reviews and prices online. I also like to check weather and my stocks throughout the day. I do use it as a phone but I do not make lots of calls.

9. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

Top being most used:

Internet
    Sms
    iPod
    Phone

Through out my day I use it for web browsing, email, I love that I can stream xm or sirious radio in my car on my way home. When out with friends I use it again as my personal device. If tried to make it as much like my mac at home. Picoli app for apurture light , beatmaker for logic light, I use net news wire,wedict for dictionary purposes. I have other random and sometimes useful apps to.

Such a great device for me. A mac in my pocket indeed

10. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

hah.. oh yea.. i forgot to say that i also use it as a phone and ipod.. but i THOUGHT that was a given

11. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

i use my finger... i don't understand the question here :confused::confused::mad:

;)

12. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I just got back from vacation, and of course I brought my new IPhone with me. Prior to leaving I created a web gallery and notified my family and friends that I would be posting pictures there while on vacation. I spent a few days in Miami, then departed on a Carnival cruise. I found wifi in some of the ports we visited, and I took advantage of that to update my gallery while traveling. My family loved seeing the pictures while we were gone, as opposed to posting them upon our return.

I did make some use of data roaming, and I am hoping that will not make my next bill too expensive. I know there is an extra cost for that, so I was careful not to use it too much.

13. FJR macrumors regular

1) iPod - probably around 6 hours per day

2) E-mail - send/recieve probably 10-20 "non-junk" emails per day

3) phone - probably around 2 hours per day

4) Text - probably 20 texts per day

5) Facebook - probably check it 10-15 times per day

6) Safari - use in various forms maybe an hour or so per day, about 5 or so times

7) Maps - travel a fair amount, so I use maps a good amount, but its more in that its very important when I do use it

8) various games - about an hour a day

9) Calendar - use it about twice per day. Not terribly busy right now, so its probably on the low end of usage right now.

10) Weather- usually once twice per day

11) camera - sometimes if I'm bored or out without my digital camera

12) alarm - occasionally if I'm sleeping somewhere and I don't have my normal bedisde alarm.

13) Remote - during parties its pretty much money

14) contacts - occasionally I'll need to know somebody's contact infor outside of the context of making a call or email

15) myTo-Dos - will probably be higher when I get busier in a few weeks

16) PageOnce - use it to check my AT&T account mostly, although I have a few other accounts on there as well

17) AIM - Occasionally I'll hceck it and talk to somebody for a few mins. Will be much better when background notifications are available.

18) Pandora/AOL radio - occasionally if I'm bored with what I have on my phone or want to hear something I don't have at all.

19) Notes - occasionally. My girlfriend likes to write things to me with notes if we are somewhere she doesn't want to talk out loud.

20) YouTube - occasionally if I'm at a bar and want to show somebody something

21) ScoreMobile - Just got this, I can see it replacing using safari to get scores.

WOW, I guess I use my iPhone A LOT. Since I grouped all the games together, I guess I pretty regularly use about 25 apps.

14. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

How do you get it to color code your appointments? I was under the impression that the color-coding was for individual calendars, rather than for individual appointments.

15. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Is your keyboard doing alright? :p

16. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

I enjoy going out and spending $299 plus the cost of the contract just to hold down on the icons and watch them wiggle. :)

17. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I use separate calendars for separate subjects in iCal, and sync them all to iPhone's calendar. They all show up on one calendar in the iPhone, and actually in iCal as well. It's easy to switch between them all on either format.

In my Treo, I had probably ten colors, but I've pared down to five in the iPhone.

18. dmel75 macrumors newbie

Because it's always in my POCKET!

I use the iPhone more than any other computer I have. Why? Because it works and because it's with me all the time.

I work in IT for a large hospital, I have to support several mission-critical unix database servers and I use my iPhone for work believe it or not. I use Mobile Terminal (under Jailbreak/Cydia) to ssh into these servers to do various sysadmin tasks from time to time when I'm sitting at home on the couch! VPN works great for this as well. Since 2.0 they added Cisco IPSEC VPN support and I've used it to ssh into servers while traveling down the road, amazing to be able to do this with a phone.

I also use it for the following:

Social networking sites, twitter, facebook. I use the iPhone app versions more than the full PC client versions now because the iPhone is always in my pocket.

Gaming! I have a DS and a PSP, the iPhone gets more time because the iPhone is always in my pocket.

Camera! I wind up taking more candid pics with the iPhone than I do with my uber expensive Canon SLR simply because the iPhone is always in my pocket.

Web Browsing. Having a full browser with you at all times is one of those things that you just don't know how amazingly useful it is until you have it. I cannot fathom going back to one of my previous PDA phones' browsers now. I have google with me at all times because the iPhone is always in my pocket.

Email. Work, personal, etc. I email more on my iPhone now because the iPhone is always in my pocket.

Because the iPhone is always in my pocket it gets used constantly.

19. FJR macrumors regular

Wouldn't have been a bad commercial. Although the catchphrase is a little clunky.

20. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

how are you able to see the phone if its always in your pocket :p

21. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

HUH?? call me dense but i didnt get that one.

22. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

The somewhat unwarranted capitalizing of words and random punctuation? lol, usually I'm not the grammar nazi or anything, but sheesh!

23. Espo thread starter macrumors 6502

If the screen is locked, you can double click on the home screen button and you can then pause, play, previous, next and change volume.

I usually keep my phone on shuffle, so i can just press next all the time. Then again my V-Moda headphones have the button on the mic to switch to the next song. :]

24. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I use it for an iPod every day
    I use it for work to deal with emails every day
    I use it to surf the internet in meetings if I need info once a week or twice
    I use it for games 1-2 times a day during breaks if I have to stay in the office for lunch
    I use it for a phone every day

25. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

ahahaha
    i love your humor!

im also a student

i use mine as
    ipod
    mobile blogging
    phone
    safari
    and i love pandora!