How do you use your MBP at work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chadsteruw, Feb 4, 2008.

1. chadsteruw macrumors member

Couldn't find any threads on this topic, so I'm posing the question...

In my line of work, I still have to use a Windows desktop to do some of my work. Since I do a lot in Excel (sorry, Excel for Mac doesn't cut it) and I use a data mining tool called Hyperion(which to my knowledge only runs on Windows), I have to use a Dell desktop at work. However, I still bring along my trusty MBP 15" with me to work and set it up next to my Dell tower. I switch off between the two during the day. Typically, I'll have my MBP running my work e-mail and do my spreadsheet stuff on the dell.

I do occasionally run Remote Desktop from my MBP and just use my MBP to do things.

I was curious if anyone else has any similar set ups or how other people use their MBPs at work. I would LOVE to use just my laptop at work, but unfortunately for what I do, I can't at this time.

I'd love to hear from everyone else.

2. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Wouldn't running parallels/GMWare Fusion or boot camp on your MBP be better for you in your case? Then you could consolidate to one computer for both work and home. And you could drive a monitor from your MBP and leave it at your work. I'm not aware of one thing you can't do in boot camp or parallels/GMWare Fusion that you could do on your Windows machine.

3. Zel macrumors regular

As an academic, most every tool I need is written in unix and runs flawlessly on the MBP.

Did you mean to ask how we run windows software? That's what VMWare Fusion is for.

4. Fuzzbear macrumors regular

Fuzzbear

Unless your in a situation like me where your forced to use a windows desktop at work because there are custom applications, and everything is done through the company intra net. and your IT department refuses to touch a mac.

5. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

I have to use IE to access my corporate intranet (which is where I do most of my work) so I just run Vista on my MBP while I'm at work. I do have a Windows desktop (which I have to use for certain things like printing documents and accessing the register server) but I feel like I'm in a small cave when I'm in my office so I just sit in my dining room and access the internet and corporate intranet using my MBP along with my BlackBerry 8830 as a high-speed modem.