How do you use your older, secondary iMacs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by driftless, Feb 2, 2015.

1. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I was wondering how everyone used their older, non-primary, and now secondary iMacs? Or, if you donated/gave away your older iMacs, where did they go?

2. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

i have the iMac 21" with the white body, i just use it for looks or just to play music.

3. katewes macrumors 6502

My white 2006 iMac running Snow Leopard is still fast enough for running IMAP emails with Gmail, and also plenty fast enough for general web browsing. These two functions are the bulk of daily tasks for most people.

Where the old iMac slows down is using modern apps that need faster processing speed.

4. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Mine's a print server, does Boinc stuff and is a backup iMac in case of problems with the primary. It also runs the scanner part of the allinone printer because I can't be bothered to try and work that out wirelessly as I only scan once in a blue moon. I'm wondering whether it's time to reclaim the space and donate it somewhere

5. Nosferax, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015

Nosferax macrumors regular

My 2010 iMac (i3 model) is used exclusively as an iTunes/music player now. It doesn't even host the files itself, instead it stream them from my main PC.

My iPad see more use than my iMac these days. I was thinking about buying a new one, but I have a problem in spending +2k on a computer, especially a AIO. I understand that the new 5k screen is fabulous, but since I'm only an amateur photographer and digital artist, i don't really need it.

6. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Interesting question.

Don't people sell their older iMacs?

7. driftless thread starter macrumors demi-god

driftless

I would assume many and probably most do. 4 - 5 yoa iMacs are still very functional but they don't fetch much on Gazelle, etc.

8. Kjos macrumors member

Currently my old Macbook pro (2009) is under my bed. Since I got my iMac in 2013, I haven't touched it much at all.

9. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

my 2010 MacBook Pro is sitting in the drawer on shame :p. JK its just in a drawer since it doesn't work but ever since i got the 15" retina its great

10. edjrwinnt macrumors member

I use a 2007 Mac Mini at home as a print server, and it has a VM with backup surveillance software that I use in case my main surveillance system goes down.

I use a late iMac 2009 at work using target display mode as the main screen on my pc desktop. I also use it for remote controlling my Macs at home, and the same scenario with the VM with the backup surveillance software.

11. inboxer macrumors regular

You can try selling your old imac to buybackworld
    I believe they will buy back older macs and macbooks that gazelle no longer allows you to sell.

12. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

I replaced my 2008 iMac with a Dell XPS 27 All-in-One. The iMac is now used for email and browsing in my ham (amateur radio) shack.

13. albebaubles macrumors regular

albebaubles

old macs

I never sell old macs, either get them to family or repurpose. iTunes server, XMBC server, DNS, ProfileManager, Git, SVN, and also they are great for hosting VirtualBox VMs.

possibilities without end.

14. panzer06, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015

panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I used to keep multiple Macs but now just keep one. I don't like the current Apple computer line. Still enjoy iDevices tho.

I just replaced a 2011 Mini with a 2011 iMac w/6970 to get better GPU. Hopefully it will last. Sold the Mini within a week of getting the iMac.

Cheers,

15. cynics macrumors G3

Tried to find a use for it but it just became redundant. Moving forward I'll just sell the older iMacs as I get new ones.

16. Fishrrman macrumors G3

My late 2006 white Intel iMac 24" still runs quite reliably for light music production, under OS 10.6.8 or 10.7.5.

Guess I'll keep using it for such, until it simply wears out...

17. zone23 macrumors 68000

My early 2011 is now on the bar in my man cave. I use it to stream music to my Apple TV while watching sports and drinking beer with friends.

18. ssgbryan macrumors 6502

ssgbryan

19. driftless, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015

driftless thread starter macrumors demi-god

driftless

I just found a home for our late '09 iMac which has not been in use. It went to a woman who does not have a computer but wants to try her hand at graphic arts again. She was very appreciative.

Post-Script: it still runs great. It was one of the iMac that Apple replaced the original Seagate 1TB drive, so the drive is younger than the machine.