How Do You Use Your rMBP With SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thepominlaw, Sep 21, 2014.

1. thepominlaw macrumors member

Hi guys,

Just sold my iMac and purchased my first macbook, went for the 15" base retina model and I must say I love it. Problem is I was so used to having everything on the internal hard drive I am struggling to adjust.

Photos and files are not an issue got them in my dropbox so they are physically on the SSD of the macbook. The problem I have though is iTunes.

I have 120gb of music that used to live on my imac. When setting up the new mac my music match subscription picked everything up and placed a cloud symbol there, obviously because it's on icloud. I have copied all my music onto an external drive and want to use this to play the music sometimes when I have no internet so I added the files to the library no I have 2 of each song one local one cloud is there a way for iTunes to sync and realise they are the same.

Surely there must be an easier way, do I have keep adding the files and then waiting for the library to sync. I would have been happy with cloud only but I imagine they have to be local to sync to my phone so I can listen at work? Think I was spoiled having everything local.

Would appreciate some hints and tips to managing your files on a SSD as it's confusing me something silly.

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I have just apps, OSX, and documents on the SSD. All music, video, and pictures are on an external USB 3.0 HD.

3. EOB macrumors regular

I also just recently got a base rMBP 15 with 256gb. I basically use Cloud Storage for non-essential files. I also have external drives to have back ups, just in case, but hardly touch those. Cannot wait to switch to iCloud Drive, once we could access it using OSX. PC already has access to it :(

But then again my previous PC also had 256gb SSD so I have already been adjusted to smaller physical storage space on my computers.

4. vb7200 macrumors member

If you can get a hold of a 128GB SD card, you could put all your music on that and just leave it plugged into the MacBook. Only thing is you'd end up paying a bit for one of those

5. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

On my SSD, I only have my Aperture library, Dropbox and Google Drive files. I have a 768GB SSD and I still have about 600GB of that free. My photos are on an external drive.

Not as convenient as my 2011 Macbook Pro where I had two internal drives. However, that was a victim of Radeongate. :mad:

My music files take up about 200GB on an old white Macbook with a 256GB SSD. This is connected to my stereo. You can probably pick up a used white Macbook for under $200 on craigslist these days.