How do you view/open/handle ZIP and other archives?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by splashtech, Dec 21, 2007.

1. splashtech macrumors regular

Do you use the built-in support for ZIP files, or use some other application. I find it strange to double-click a ZIP file and have it automatically extracted to wherever I am... I guess Windows has conditioned me to expect an explorer style management window to view inside the zip file first.

I was wondering what other people thought of this feature, and what people use if not the default.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I use the built-in support for .zip, .tar, .gzip etc. Other formats are handled by the unarchiver. I always thought Windows' handling of zip files rather counter-intuitive, to tell the truth.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Built in support for ZIP files etc, UnRarX for .rar files.

5. TheStu macrumors 65816

I concur with your assessment about the windows way of handling it. It opens in an explorer-esque window, and then you go to double click the file to run it, and half the time, it says that you should unzip it to use it. Why not just unzip it from the get go (or take Safari's approach, where it immediately unzips after the download is complete) and be done with it?

6. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I use StuffIt Expander; at least with Mac OS X I know where I extracted the folder at. And if I lose it, SPOTLIGHT TO THE RESCUE

7. splashtech thread starter macrumors regular

I think possibly it's something I will just get used to. Certainly I can see good points and bad points of both approaches. I think my problems come where a zip file unzips and splatters lots of files around in the folder, all mixed in with the original zip file itself and whatever else I already have there - the downloads folder is a good example.

8. TheStu macrumors 65816

No, when a .zip is unarchived, you are left with a folder of the same name. So if you have BeerPong2007.zip and you unarchive it, you are left with a folder called BeerPong2007. Then, generally, the zip file is trashed.

9. splashtech thread starter macrumors regular

That isn't what I've experienced. Although I would prefer this behaviour.

Edit: I've just tested this by compressing a couple of files I had lying around into an archive and then decompressing, and it appears you are right. I must be remembering incorrectly, I think I need to spend more time on my mac :). Thanks for proving me wrong :D