How do you view Video by Artist?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by AppleCrisp, Feb 18, 2008.

1. AppleCrisp macrumors member

Hi,

I recently purchased a 32 gig Touch and I have a question. So far I have 90 something videos on it and they all show up in order by name. This is pretty annoying as it is not possible it seems to view by Artist, or track number. For example, I have a season of Lost, and the episodes are spread through the list according to the first letter of their title. Does anyone know of a way to group the videos by artist and track number? Any help would be immensely appreciated.

2. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

From my knowledge, you cannot view Videos by Artist. My suggestion? Put numbers infront of your episodes to get them in the order you want. For example, if you have an episode (well call the episode ABCD), change the name to "1 - ABCD". If you have another episode named "EFGH", rename it "2 - EFGH." By doing this, the iPod will sort it alphabetically, or in this case numerically. Just number your episodes like that in the order you want and you should be fine.

3. mekopolis macrumors regular

it would be nice to catagorize videos by more than just movie, music video, and podcast...or arrangement by alphabetical

but considering that this has always been like this since the video ipod, i dont think it will change, unless the SDK brings forth a better video browser

and where is the video coverflow? meh

4. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

...o_O? hmm but my music videos are sorted by artist. True that its not music videos from itunes so my videos I had to edit the tags in itunes but they are there. If I have 3 or more videos from the same artist, they put it under the artist name but the videos in there are not alphabetical order. The artist is sorted by first name though, not last name it seems.

5. AEP macrumors member

you just need to alter the tags on your T.V. shows.

i would recommend meta-x.

if you put in all the correct info, they will show up in season number and episode number.

works a charm!

6. AppleCrisp thread starter macrumors member

Ok so I downloaded Meta X and I have one question, for the tv tags is episode ID the number or is that for the episode field?

7. AppleCrisp thread starter macrumors member

thanks this worked perfectly so much easier to sort through my videos now thanks a lot

8. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

what I did once to group videos by artist is go to get info, then the video tab and changed the video kind to music video and put the artists name in grouping under the info tab.

Next time I synced my ipod music videos where grouped :)

9. AEP macrumors member

Episode id is a combination of the season number and episode number.

a picture paints a thousand words so here you go!

Attached Files:

10. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

that would be handy if the OP was on about TV shows but he said view by artist or track, which means music videos :) hopefully my little tidbit should do the trick for what was asked