how do you watch tv on your mac?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by MacHaris, Jan 17, 2014.

1. MacHaris macrumors member

I have a usb to antenna dongle I know on windows you use windows media center how about on a mac what program do I use.

2. FearlessSpiff macrumors member

3. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

As FearlessSpiff says Elgato EyeTV is generally the way to go on OS X.

If you take a look at http://www.elgato.com/uk/eyetv/eyetv-3 you can see whether your current usb tuner is compatible with the Elgato EyeTV software (the list is near the bottom of the page), though it isn't free.

4. fa8362 macrumors 65816

5. scottsjack macrumors 68000

EyeTV on the mini, mini into the VGA on the same monitor that the Mac Pro uses for DVI. That way I can keep the mini on for recording and still work on the MP.

6. blanka macrumors 68000

I have a Tubestick with the Tube, but I hardly use it any longer. All TV I watch is available streaming on free official channel websites.

7. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Am I missing something with eyetv? I don't see where you have an ota tuner option. You need a cable or satellite box. That makes it a very expensive analog video recorder.

This seems to be one area where Apple and people who develop for it have no interest in providing a workable solution. Windows Media Center is built in and compatible with a wide variety of tuners and other video recording hardware. It's easy to setup and use. It's something I miss after moving to OSX. I liked having a small window on my screen with live ota or playback of shows I missed, while I worked on other things.

----------

Hmmm, just noticed the UK site has newer / more hardware than the US site. I'd love to see eyetv 3 available in the US.

8. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Looks like Elgato has just recently reduced the number of devices available in the US.
    They used to have them available.

If you already have a compatible usb tuner, then you can get the EyeTV software on its own for OSX.

9. Ubele macrumors 6502a

Check out one of the Silicon Dust HD HomeRun tuners:

http://www.silicondust.com/

You'll need to pair it with an OTA antenna, such as the Mohu Leaf:

http://store.gomohu.com/the-leaf-indoor-hdtv-antenna.html?gclid=CIHTg6yZn7wCFZBj7AodUBcA-Q

After Comcast kept raising my rates, I was going to "cut the cable," and my research pointed me toward the HD HomeRun and the Leaf as my best options. I was waiting for the new version of the HDHR, which will do on-the-fly H.264 conversion, to be released this month, but Frontier offered me almost the same package as I was getting with Comcast, at a little more than a third of the price, so I switched to Frontier. I did get a Leaf for the bedroom TV, though, and I only have a cable box on the living room TV. The leaf works great in my area.

I've seen the base-model OTA HDHR for as low as $75, and the Leaf costs $40. Pair those with a Mac and the EyeTV software for your DVR.

10. scottsjack macrumors 68000

That looks like the one that sold as an EyeTV model in 2012.

11. Ubele macrumors 6502a

Intresting. I started looking last summer, and EyeTV had a small USB dongle with a built-in tuner. They stopped selling it later in the year, with no explanation. I saw a lot of postings from people saying that theirs had stopped working after a few months, and that the connector broke easily, so perhaps it was just poorly designed. That was when people told me about the Silicon Dust products.

12. slayerizer macrumors 6502a

slayerizer

simple! if I shutdown my 2008 iMac, I can watch the TV reflecting on the glossy display! I just can't record anything!

:D

13. zipur macrumors 6502

14. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

EyeTV with Elgato DTT DeLuxe. Sadly, not directly supported by XBMC. I honestly wish I bought a Homerun instead.

15. Osty macrumors 6502a

Another vote for the HD Homerun. I've got one sitting on my network and it streams TV captured from my antenna over Ethernet.

16. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000